Author Topic: So I made a flute...  (Read 2951 times)

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
So I made a flute...
« on: April 14, 2013, 11:15:19 pm »
Josh inspired me a couple years ago with all of the flutes he had been making but it wasn't until now that I finally dug in and found out how to make one.  I bought a few cedar balusters from home depot and went to work on this one.  Used a table saw to rip it in half, then ran it over the router to shave the two chambers into it's bore.  Glued the two pieces together and went to work tuning it.  I used an online calculator to figure out the hole spacing, just guestimated the hole size and adjusted them to get it in tune, using a free tuner program I found online.  The tuning is bang-on thanks to that program, although I've noticed it drifts a bit depending on temperature and humidity.  I tuned it to D minor pentatonic scale.

The totem or fetish was supposed to resemble my Native zodiac, the otter, but I don't know how close I got with that ;)  I put some ipe and hickory into the mouthpiece part.  If anyone is interested, I can try to post a sound clip once I learn how to play it a bit.  The tone is really nice, but the last time I played a flute was in grade 8, so it may take some time to brush up.

Offline Lemos

Re: So I made a flute...
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 12:34:59 am »
That's cool, I've been wanting to do one for awhile. Do you mind sharing what the tuner program is?

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 12:44:17 am »
Sure, just google "tuner_e.zip".  I used a couple different calculators for the hole spacing, and both had very similar measurements.  Try searching for "flutomat" and "naflutomat" to find them. 

"Flutopedia" is a website with a wealth of flute info on.  I'm sure there are many others as well.

Offline Lemos

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 12:48:51 am »
Thanks, I've bought a couple and love messing with them even bought a you-finish flute. I've even gone as far as to buy some spendy figured myrtle and redwoods to make a fancy one just haven't dove in cause I didn't want to waste the wood not knowing how to tune.

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 01:00:29 am »
If you want to experiment or fool around with different tunings, I would suggest using PVC pipe in 1/2" or 3/4" for practice.  Not very primitive, but it is very uniform, so you will get consistent results, and it is also dirt cheap.  There are lots of vids on youtube regarding PVC flutes.

Once you fine tune the hole placement for a given tuning and bore diameter, you can easily transfer the dimensions over to wood.

Offline bigpapa

• all the senorita's call me bigpapa
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 02:21:10 am »
Well if it sounds as good as it looks you did a great job. I've just started making some too, but didn't use the tuner program and they are off. It will really help. The first one I made was for my grandaughter out of river cane. We had harvested some the day before and she came over and I thought, hmmmm.. gotta be a way to keep a three year old occupied. Lol!! Rivercane is the easiest and cheapest to mess with when learning to make them for sure. There are a ton of YouTube videos on how to make them. Sorry for the ramble. It's midnight and I've been sparying paint for 6 hours!!! Lol!!
Our only limitations in life are the ones we put on ourselves!
Dream your dreams, and fly like the eagles!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 08:23:34 am »
Very nice,love it,I need to get me one of them. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Scowler

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 08:50:24 am »
Great looking flute.

Offline Stoker

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 06:03:08 pm »
That turned out real nice. Built a couple not sure if they are tuned 100%. Our school music teacher told me I couldn't carry a tune in a bucket  :o
Really like the mouth peice. Very well done Cam
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline robby

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 12:57:34 pm »
That's pretty cool Cameroo!! I can't play a lick of music on anything, but sure do enjoy listening. I'm inspired!!! I'll get one of the grandkids to play it. Thanks for showing it!!
Robby