Author Topic: New Hickory Stave (New Pics Added)  (Read 3378 times)

Offline Paul F

New Hickory Stave (New Pics Added)
« on: May 02, 2013, 04:29:25 pm »
First and foremost, thank you very much for all the help that I have received from this board and one in particular for this wonderful stave.

I am just posting some pictures at the start and will update every so often so everyone can see the progress.

I was really interested in trying a Molly for my first bow, but as the stave is right at 1 3/4"'s wide I don't think I can make it work.  I will instead be making a "Flat Bow" which will be bending just after the handle fade's to the tip.

The stave is 76" long and will be cut down to 68-70"'s with a 5 inch handle.  There is some twist at one end that I should be able to heat bend out once the stave is a little slimmer.

My goal is to get 50#@28" and I don't know if I need to back it or not, but I can play that one by ear.

The stave has had the bark removed and was sealed. 

I have a few more question about hickory and this type of bow in general, but will start another thread for that.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 09:43:49 pm by Paul F »
The first part of doing anything, is getting up off your ass.

Offline twisted hickory

Re: New Hickory Stave
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 05:43:39 pm »
That looks like a good stave. I will mention that I have only built 7 bows. So far my favorite is either a pyramid or parrell limbs to the half way point then tapering to 7/16 tips. The handle style I like the best is a triangular in cross section That is 1.75 deep and 1 inch wide. I think most call it a howard hill design. I like to glue on a jute handle which is wrapped over a 1/4 inch arrow rest.
That is what works for me. I shoot this bow better than the center cut riser pistol grip handle bow I have. I seem to be more consistant with it.
Hope it helps, ;) George tuscoluous (sp) has a great website that will be of help for you
Greg

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 07:28:50 pm »
I have a few more question about hickory and this type of bow in general, but will start another thread for that.
Why is that? I would highly prefer one topic for one stave. Much easier to read instead of flipping between two topics, and also much easier to find with future searches.

Looks like a nice stave. Is the wood dry? How long has it been drying?
Do not make a molly for your first bow. A flatbow is indeed a much better choice.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Paul F

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 07:30:49 pm »
Yep sorry, I thought about the flipping after I started the second post.

The stave has been drying for just over 3 years.

Offline Paul F

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 09:43:25 pm »
Well let the fun begin.  I have a minimal amount of space and tool's but here is the start of the roughing out.  Not pretty, but it's a start.  PIC HEAVY.

Paul F.

Thanks for looking.

Offline Joec123able

Re: New Hickory Stave (New Pics Added)
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 11:44:33 pm »
There's a real nice bow hidden in their for sure if you want you could just send that piece to me I'll take it off your hands if ya want lol just kidding when was the stave cut ??
I like osage

Offline Paul F

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 11:49:34 pm »
LOL not on your life....it's my first lol.  The stave has been drying for a little over 3 years.  I can tell ya...it's some hard stuff to get through.

Paul F.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2013, 12:58:01 pm »
Make your fades longer, your bow will have a much more pleasing appearance. I make mine 2 3/4" long and shorten them some when I get the area out of the fades moving during tillering.

Here is an example, a gradual transition to the limbs instead of an abrupt one;

Offline Paul F

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2013, 02:45:41 am »
Will give that a try Eric.  Thank you very much for the advice.

Paul F.