Author Topic: Handle with no arrow rest string alignment (question)  (Read 1347 times)

Offline seminolewind

Handle with no arrow rest string alignment (question)
« on: April 07, 2013, 11:21:21 pm »
Ok so I have never built a bow that did not have an arrow rest cut into the handle until now. On my previous bows the string fell in the center of the handle where the arrow rest was cut. I am now building a bow that has no lateral taper on the sides (kinda like the picture below) and will only have an arrow rest attached on the side. Do I need to offset the limbs so the string falls on the side of the handle, and would the bow draw appropriately if I did so. I also want to know if I leave the string centered on the handle could I still achieve accuracy with the arrow having to travel around the handle?

As always thanks for the help !
"Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline bubby

Re: Handle with no arrow rest string alignment (question)
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 11:23:08 pm »
you still want the string to track down the middle, arrow spine will get around the bow
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline seminolewind

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 11:34:59 pm »
Thanks Bubby thats what I was thinking made the most sense.
"Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 12:08:43 am »
Howdy,   Having the string track down the middle is the best suggestion, but if you find the string is a little to one side, make that side the arrow pass side!  Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline ScottN

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 12:16:59 am »
the couple bow's I have made so far have all had no arrow rest cut into them.

As bubby said, still keep your string down the center. You will just have to figure out what spine strength works best. 3rivers sells a nice "arrow test kit" that come's with 2 arrows of various spine strength(depending on the kit you choose). I purchased this kit when I first got into bow making and I still use. It is a great reference to what spine # I should make and/or purchase.
...take me away...from the place I've been...          ...to another life...in another world...