Author Topic: A question for those outside the states, or whoever wants to give input  (Read 5438 times)

mikekeswick

[ If so, the two 36 inch billets could be sent PRECUT then who ever is receiving the billets can glue them together ....now you have a 72 inch bow. :)

VMB
[/quote]
2 x 36 inch billets would give a 68 inch bow     ;) ;)

Offline bubby

with a 60" package the bow is going to be max 58" ttt, got to have some protection on the tips, so 56" ntn, should be able to get a 26" draw on a bendy unbacked bow, I still think td, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Irritating answer. Don't Read It!
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2013, 06:29:20 am »
Assuming the 60" limit is length, width or depth...
Shipping in a square a square box say 60x60x3 would allow an 84" bow!
I know this is true 'cos Mr Pythagoras that runs the kebab shop told me. :laugh:
Of course if you ship in a cube shaped box with the bow going diagonally it can be much much longer!
I can't be bothered to do the maths.
Del
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 06:33:31 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline lostarrow

No debate here, could care less, was trying to solve a problem from what I read....like I said maybe I did not understand the original question sorry :)...I save debating for more important things. :laugh:

VMB
What debate would that be?  I understood the question at hand to be about shipping a finished bow, and Brian was obviously under the impression that it was to be a blank or billets to be shipped.  No debate involved, just clarification.  Josh
  Whoah ,there ,boys! Back up the cart.  Just a little joke. Didn't you see the goofy smiley things?Nothing malicious here. The sarcastic inflection obviously didn't come through on that one.

Offline vinemaplebows

[ If so, the two 36 inch billets could be sent PRECUT then who ever is receiving the billets can glue them together ....now you have a 72 inch bow. :)

VMB
2 x 36 inch billets would give a 68 inch bow     ;) ;)
[/quote]
 Yes, sir your right, was wondering how long it would take for someone to correct that. :laugh:
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline ionicmuffin

actually VMB what you really meant, is that the longest bow with 36inch billets is  68 inches. but in truth, you could make the bow a 50 incher. but you knew that anyway  ::) :P ;D
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline KShip85

Haha, sorry for the confusion all.  Lostarrow is on to me :). I'm trying to make the best bow I can to ship out but the shipping is slightly, almost 2-3 times, more than I had anticipated.  Del, I hadn't even thought of that.  Just dusted off the ol' geometry skills and have a new maximum bow length of 63" minus a bit for tip protection.  Not a great improvement but at least a little better.  It looks like most people are saying t/d at the moment, might push me a little as I've not done one before.  Maybe I just need to make one of each and ship them both?

Kip
Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN

Offline danny f

i would be happy with any, i like short bows but  a takedown would be cool too.

Offline hatcha

Check with your post office for price differences between First Class postage and Priority postage.  Someone shipped an osage stave to me (Ireland) from America and "had to cut it down to 60 inches for shipping" (according to the post office official, but that would've been First Class.  Apparently, Priority postage doesn't have a length limitation - but I only found that out a long time after I got the stave :(

Offline vinemaplebows

Ok, now I understand....I thought you were trying to purchase a bow blank to make a bow. :laugh:
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline lostarrow

have you checked out the sticky at the top of the bow page "Shipping bows and staves"? I just shipped my bow for red oak  trade . 2.5 KG. 68" long .it cost  $23.

Offline KShip85

have you checked out the sticky at the top of the bow page "Shipping bows and staves"? I just shipped my bow for red oak  trade . 2.5 KG. 68" long .it cost  $23.

Yeah, I've checked it before.  I've been looking at USPS using the online calculator and it won't let me enter a dimension over 60" for length.  Maybe I just need to drop by the post office and ask?

Kip
Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN

Offline lostarrow

Yeah ,the pamphlet that Canada Post gives out is absolutely useless. The usually have a calculation based on length x dia. then they calculate the weight in some how with the cycle of the moon then divide that by Pi  ??? ...................wouldn't hurt to talk to someone at the counter.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 03:06:30 pm by lostarrow »

Offline dwardo

If 60 inch is the package length then would the bow not be more like 58 accounting for adequate padding?
Wouldn't want much less than that considering the ammount of baggage monkies involved.