Author Topic: gpp for warbow flight shot?  (Read 9134 times)

Offline WillS

Re: gpp for warbow flight shot?
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2013, 02:44:51 pm »
I'm amazed, considering how closely Chrissi Carnie is involved in the whole thing.  Perhaps it was the bow breaking that did it, as Pat said.  Who knows.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2013, 02:53:44 pm »
Pretty sure the bow breaking made you lose all credibility in their eyes.
I had explained on camera that this stave wasn't really suitable, was an accident waiting to happen and could well end up in the corner of shame.
The morning was the bow making and they suddenly called time for lunch, so I just took the bow and drew it 28", put an arrow on it and slammed it into some bales of flax ;D... That would have been good TV.
The afternoon shooting bows was a sepatate thing, so the breakage was almost a foot note. All the other bows in use were made by me and were fine of course.
The risk assesmant I had to do had also mentioned bows breaking was a possibility. I don't think I lost any credibility at any point, more a case of they didn't think it was photogenic enough... or maybe not enough squabling ;)
Best bit of the day was getting two of the girls from the crew shooting the 35# Hazel when we'd finished :laugh:... absolutely nothing to do with the fact that they were both gorgeous O:)
Del
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 03:02:27 pm by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2013, 02:55:06 pm »
  Del, A few years ago I did a show for the discovery channel where I had to build a giant bow to power a Da Vinci designed catapult. I swore I would never do another show for them. Another show I did I had to build 6 300# crossbows and finish them all in a week. The giant bow was about 22 ft long and shaped like a C. They take out all the good stuff and focus on the little squables around the shop.
Yeah, and the stupid time constraints they put on these projects.
the daftest was a time limit on building a seige engine... D'uh... in a seige, the one thing you have is time, and more time...and more time... have they starved yet? No?... more time!
Del
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 03:03:16 pm by Del the cat »

Offline Del the cat

Warbow flight shot result!
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2013, 03:17:03 pm »
Here's a quick result... I'll post a fuller report and pics on my blog.
The event was longbows only... I shot further than anyone else, but didn't "win" as I pulled 'em all left out of the shoot lane (well I am new to this, and was stiving for a full draw).
302 yards ;D
One of the 2 lightest arrows (about 400gn went furthest) the one with the nicely fiared in horn reinforced nock. the heaviest (600 gn) was shortest (but prettiest :-*  ::) )
Great days shooting ;D.
Sunday roast is calling me.
More tomorrow.
Del

Offline Badger

« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2013, 03:19:37 pm »
  Del, how much fletch did you have on the 400 grain, how high and how long?

Offline DuBois

« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2013, 03:35:51 pm »
I have yet to make an arrow from start to finish. I only hope to be able to engage in a conversation like this someday and have something intelligent to contribute. Cheers, Doob

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2013, 04:34:15 pm »
  Del, how much fletch did you have on the 400 grain, how high and how long?
The arrow actually weighed 385.6gn 5/16 POC shaft.
You can see I've tried to blend in the leading edge of the flights and I've made a lovely tiny cute nock tapered out to small as possible.
Picture of flights and point attached, not the muck finish round the point is actually where I faired it in with epoxy as the join of point to shaft was rough.
If you look really close you can just make out Windsor castle in the back ground :)
Left to Right Roy, Heffalump, Windsor Castle, Del, Mick, Owen
Del
(I'm holding the 50# Yew I used for the roving marks... the Elm Warbow was waiting patiently in the car)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 04:42:26 pm by Del the cat »

Offline dwardo

« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2013, 11:24:57 am »
This is no time to be eating Sunday dinner and leaving us all hanging!
300yards nice one  8)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2013, 10:00:52 pm »
Oh Del, if only we could scoop up the lot of you and drop you at Twin Oaks for the Classic!  What would be more fun than to have some real life Tommies in that crowd.  I can only imagine the fun.

Well, if we could get past the language barriers!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline avcase

« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2013, 10:55:34 pm »
Congratulations on the great flight shooting results. It can be really easy lose direction and go off line when pointing up in the air at close to 45 degrees. 

It would be great to shoot with such a large number of participants.  I hope someday we will have more long distance events like that here in the US.

Alan