Author Topic: Making Fish Glue ?  (Read 5849 times)

Offline Saxton

Making Fish Glue ?
« on: March 29, 2013, 05:33:40 pm »
I would like to make some fish skin glue for backing bows and other projects , but have never done it . Anyone have any recipes ?

Offline Primalartz

Re: Making Fish Glue ?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 10:38:12 pm »
Take and salt the fish skins and air bladder, put them in the hot water and wash very well; cook them in potash, let boil for a good bit , that they are unraveled, and that potash is thick; separate the clear part and throw away the dirty stuff in the bottom; and if the clear part is too thin, cook it some more, pour the boiled glue on a non pours surface letting it cool and harden , to thin it out use alum
Keep your eyes on the stars, and your feet on the ground.
-Theodore Roosevelt

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 12:40:17 am »
Well, The salt and potash and all sound authentic, but just slowly simmering the skins or air-bladders until everything falls apart should work, too.  I haven't made fish glue yet, but hide, or sinew glue take nothing but water, low heat ( ~ 150 degrees F) and time.   After 24 hours or so there's not much left of hide or sinew.  Just strain and cool.  If there's still fine debris it will usually settle to the bottom before the glue gels and you can cut off the dirty layer.   Reheat the strained glue to use, continue slow heat to thicken, or add water to thin.  You can refridgerate for a few days to store, or  for longer storage you can freeze it.   Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 01:22:07 am »
There was a really good post a short while back that covered making fish air bladder glue.  It was very informative.  You might want to use the search function and find it.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 01:29:04 am »
I couldn't find the post I am thinking about but I did find this one from Carson.  It should help you out.  Good luck and post your results/recipe

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,33614.msg443547.html#msg443547
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Saxton

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 11:21:16 pm »
Thanks for the info , I going to try with the potash and without . I'm thinking a mix of skins and air bladder on low heat . I will have to experiment after the next fishing trip, ill be sure to post some pics and info on how it goes . thanks again