Author Topic: Osage question...  (Read 1650 times)

Offline soy

• pm106221
Osage question...
« on: April 01, 2013, 10:16:07 pm »
What is going on here??I have these pockets of this brown almost looks like Sap that has been caramelized in the early wood...will this cause structural instability in the form of laminar separation?
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Osage question...
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 11:37:42 pm »
I've never seen anything like that before.  Does it keep going down through the rings or could you remove a few and get below it?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 12:16:05 am »
Look at the side grain and see if there is any seperation between groth rings. Wind shakes are delaminations that discolor. Is "that spot" limited to that spot?
  You need to seal that back. I already see a drying check I think, just to the left of "that spot". 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 12:25:43 am »
I've worked Black Cherry that had sap pockets that kinda looked like that, but never Osage.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 12:49:27 am »
Sapsuckers will leave damage like that in yew, and other woods.  Not sure if they would go aafter osage.  Maybe woodpecker pulled out one of them wasp grubs.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 12:55:38 am »
Look at the side grain and see if there is any seperation between groth rings. Wind shakes are delaminations that discolor. Is "that spot" limited to that spot?
  You need to seal that back. I already see a drying check I think, just to the left of "that spot".

I agree with pat I see the crack forming you need to take the rings down till the cracks gone and seal it immediately before it goes down to deep
I like osage

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 04:50:48 am »
there are multiple drying checks it is on the belly side I cut this in half early and didn't seal the belly :-[ is not limited to that 1 spot there are multiple spots in a couple growth ring Period
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...