Author Topic: Wanting to make my first arrows!?  (Read 3618 times)

Offline crwjr

Wanting to make my first arrows!?
« on: March 25, 2013, 11:08:23 am »
Hello everyone. I am wanting to make my first arrows. I would like to know what makes an easy first set up for arrows. will be shot out of a 45/50 pound longbow. I like the idea of Bamboo. is this an easy material to work with? 
Pick a spot
Aim small miss small

Offline Tetsuoh

• Part-Time Primitive
Re: Wanting to make my first arrows!?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 11:27:05 am »
I'm new here to, honestly haven't even made an arrow myself yet save for a pencil sharpened dowel rod when I was 12.

BUT from what I gather round here, the jury is still out on whats easier.
It seems to be a matter of preference.

My suggestion will be the same as others have given me.
Try a number of things and see what you like, including the bamboo of course.
"In a world full of green, you'd be surprised how many want to see it burn. In a world full of cold grey, you'd be ashamed to see how many remember the green."

Offline JEB

Re: Wanting to make my first arrows?
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 11:29:02 am »
Is a bamboo arrow easy to make?  Hard question to answer to give someone that has never made an arrow before.  Bamboo is easy for me but I have been making arrows since the 60's.

If I were you I would buy some wood shafts and start from there.  Youtube is loaded with video help so I would go there first and get some hints on how to's and what to use.

You will also need a fletching jig, tapering tool, glue , nocks(unless you self nock), finish for your arrow and points.

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 11:50:40 am »
My first arrows were made from storebought hardwood dowels and some turkey feathers. It was relatively easy, but as you can imagine my first results weren't exactly stellar. My advice is to use whatever is most convenient to get your hands on and then do it a whole bunch of times. You'll figure it out as you go along. And do some reading on this site. There are some pretty great arrow buildalongs if you do a search.

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 01:22:27 pm »
I made my first arrows from the bamboo build along on this site last year and was very successful over all.  I'm still shooting several from the first batch.  Just ensure the shafts look and feel good to start.  Avoid any sharp bends, which can be difficult to impossible to fix.  good luck!
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 04:30:53 pm »
all you need to make basic bamboo arrows is some bamboo and some duct tape.
for good arrows, shafts, fletch, and some glue/thread.
you do not NEED a fletching jig!
i have never used one except the leather feather-thing somebody made.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline crwjr

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 04:47:44 pm »
I already have a jig from my Carbon arrow set up. I was really wandering what material made the stronger shaft. does bamboo hold up well or shatter/split. same with cedar shafts?
Pick a spot
Aim small miss small

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 04:54:02 pm »
I already have a jig from my Carbon arrow set up. I was really wandering what material made the stronger shaft. does bamboo hold up well or shatter/split. same with cedar shafts?
Bamboo and river cane are some of the most durable arrow woods. they are very tough, heavy, and hard hitting.
most shoots are pretty tough. ceder shafts are usually sawn. Split arrow blanks are stronger than sawn, but it is hard to tell.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline JEB

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 05:24:02 pm »
Sounds like you are not new to fletching if you already have a jig.  As far as bamboo goes it's referred to as natures carbon.  Some you can taper and some you have to use a nock end.  Nock and foreshaft ends can be bought thru 3 Rivers.  I make my own nock ends using a 3" piece of wood arrow and using my drill press to turn it while I turn the one end down to 1/8th thickness to insert into the bamboo.  Hope this helps.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

Offline Lee

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2013, 02:24:34 am »
I too started out practicing with feathers and dowels from Michael's/JoAnn's/Hobby Lobby/Lowe's/Home Depot.  The first ones were, needless to say, crude but one walks before one runs.  After I felt comfortable with working the feathers into fletch (the most tedious part, IMO) I went on to use some wing feathers salvaged from local (MN) Canada geese and wild turkeys.  I have also used some "store bought" fletching from ebay.  My latest crop shoot very nicely from my 45# hickory long bow.  I did freehand fletching at first but now have a Grayling jig which works well.
IMHO oak dowels are rather heavy for best cast and my preference now is for a tropical (Viet Nam) wood dowel of unknown species that I get at the local Fleetfarm.  It has excellent spine and straightness of grain and straightens easily.  I use a heat gun for that.  I do have some POC that I will fletch once I feel more confident of my skills but these dowels, at $.40 a piece for 36" X 3/8" are more than a bargain.  I aggressively work 12" at the nock end with coarse sandpaper to produce a tapered shaft.  I am not yet able to tell if that makes a difference in shootability at this point.  The arrows weigh from 470 to 520 grains ??? with 125 gr. field points.
I have also made 5/16" dowel arrows for my son which shoot better than the "cheap" fiberglas with plastic vanes ones he was using before.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 07:41:11 pm by Lee »

Offline sleek

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2013, 03:49:46 am »
I am with Squirrelly boy on this, as I never even wanted a fletching jig. I tie on my feathers by hand. Takes a bit of practice, but is easy enough.  Bamboo makes the best arrow in my opinion, and I have used switch cane, dowel rods from walmart, and Port Orchard Cedar. But, a well made arrow from any source is lethal.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2013, 11:51:19 pm »
I use red osier with great success. They will straighten as good as factory cedar and are much more durable.
Greg