Author Topic: Pics just added!! -New rock hunter - question on how big is big enough  (Read 2666 times)

Offline Orangeman89

Hi folks,
I have a question about chert.  I found a place that is supposed to be a source for Uniontown chert (Local to SW Pennsylvania)..  I was unable to find any large rocks, but found a lot of smaller stuff along the edge of the railroad tracks.   There seems to be Onondaga chert, at least that is my guess as it is dark gray to black with some white specks in it and it smells like motor oil when I break it.  It is not super glassy, but also not dull and grainy.  More like very smooth and satin to semi glossy.  I also found some very light grey stuff and a few pieces that were chocolate brown with lighter brown and tan ( these were the most glossy in appearance).  I believe it might be Uniontown Chert as this is the description for it and the area I was in is supposed to be a major source area for it.  My question is whats the minimum size that I can start with and still get a small arrow head from?  I am just starting to watch some you tube videos and it seems like everybody starts with really big stuff.  The better chunks that I have may be one inch thick and maybe 2 -3 inches wide and four inches long.  This would describe the amount of chert in a piece of rock that I picked up. There is limestone or some other material also attached.  Am I wasting my time with this? Thanks.
Mark
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 09:57:39 pm by Orangeman89 »

Offline TRACY

Re: New rock hunter - question on how big is big enough
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 10:31:53 am »
Pics? Those pieces look like you could get some small points to hunt with. Give it a shot.

Tracy
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 10:47:31 pm by TRACY »
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Will H

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 02:23:43 pm »
Well I'd say anything you can collect to work is worth it. When you're just starting out you're gonna make more gravel than anything so it dosent much matter. As a rule, it usually harder to get a point out of small chunky stuff but it can be done. You just have to thin really fast meaning each flake has to be big and take as much mass as possible. Good luck and post some pics ;)
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline Dalton Knapper

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 07:03:17 pm »
With a four inch piece that's 2 or 3 inches wide, with experience, you can make a near 4" point. You should be able to make arrowheads quite easily from flakes, thus making several arrowheads and a spear/dart point from the same stone. The Crowley's Ridge Chert I find here in Arkansas is no bigger than that and I have made plenty of points from arrow heads to Dalton spear points.

Offline Orangeman89

Thanks.  I just added pics to the original post to help with explaining what I found.  Mark

Offline Bill Skinner

As a general rule, I like to pick them up if they are the size of a deck of cards.  The ones that are as thick as they are wide will be a pain to thin, you will end up with a lot of thick points.  OTOH, it's free and all practice is good.