Author Topic: looking for staves  (Read 3141 times)

Offline Rufledt

looking for staves
« on: March 10, 2013, 03:27:18 pm »
Now that I have a decent number of board bows under my belt I want to make some bows from staves.  I don't want any premium staves or anything, I'm a grad student so my bank account isn't exactly overflowing, and I wouldn't want to wreck top quality wood.  I'm not too picky as to what kind of wood, just that it can be unbacked and doesn't have too much character.  They don't have to be ready to use, either, since I have a few more boards around to keep me busy while they dry.  I'm located in Boston (hence why I can't cut my own, the park's mounted police wouldn't take kindly to that, and I doubt I could outrun a horse while carrying a tree!)  I'll have to pay cash since I don't have anything to trade, just board bows and I'd like to hang on the those for now.  Every time I go shooting with friends we somehow end up a bow short...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: looking for staves
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 03:31:15 pm »
"your cash ain't nothin but trash" here on PA. You can not use it here!!!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Rufledt

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 05:17:12 pm »
Sorry my bad!  feel free to delete this thread

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 01:37:11 am »
Everyone has something to trade.
Think outside the box.

Do you have any old circular saw blades, bandsaw blades, car coil or leaf springs?
String serving?
fresh turkey wing bones?
beef bones?
good leather belt?
canvas tarp?
local knappable rock?
"famous _____" from your region?
woodworking tools?
artwork?
fresh cane?
bamboo from Lowes you took the time to sort and straighten?

Cruise some antique shops, goodwill, flea market, friends and family and turn that cash into something tradable.  Ask what the folks here need and I guaruntee you you will be able to buysomething they want.
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline Rufledt

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 02:49:37 pm »
Thanks, i'll take a look!  I don't really have any famous local anything, but I might be able to scrounge something up out of my garage that I haven't used for whatever reason.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 06:49:07 pm »
Boston creme pie, Boston baked beans >:D seriously though, offer up some local uniqueness that you can't get anywhere else. It might seem like same old to you but others might cherish it.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Rufledt

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 07:36:41 pm »
Haha i'd send lobster roll sandwiches if they would survive the trip!

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 03:42:35 pm »
You could send Live Lobster...  :)

Lobster Gram!

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline John K

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 08:16:02 pm »
Talk to the guys that work in the park, i'm sure there prunning trees and what not, tell them what you want the wood for, never hurts to ask !

I'm sure i could send you a nice stave for a couple fresh Lobster ;)
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline Rufledt

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 10:42:39 pm »
I'm planning on making some bow socks and would be willing to whip up some extras if people would be willing to trade for those.

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 11:05:36 pm »
Bow socks... do tell.  What type of material? Basic or designs?

I have some hackberry.  How long do they need to be?
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Rufledt

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2013, 12:19:45 am »
have some pics of bow socks:

That's fleece, but i'm out of that material.  I'm heading off to the fabric store tomorrow to get some more or possibly different designs (up for suggestions) and to look at new sewing machines.  My wife has wanted one for a while and after trying it out for myself I agree.  We got our current one where we went to college when the theater department had a garage sale.  Cost was $10 as is.  It is thoroughly worn out...

around the bottom is artificial leather to stop the tips from poking through:

Around the top is a reverse twisted yarn thing to tie it shut:

and at the side is a shoulder strap:

I made 3 prototypes.  One holds a 2" wide 6' long bow with some room to spare.  I'd guess 3.5" would be the maximum fit.  That one also didn't have a shoulder strap, but more of a handle:

Then a really wide one, but then another that was equally wide but with dividers inside:

That's 4 divided areas for bows so they won't rub each other.  It's not even and you can see some more sewing problems if you look close enough, but it worked as a prototype. 

That's 3 bows and 1 bow stave.  The smallest area holds a 1.5" wide bow with room to spare, one of the other bows is 2.5" wide at the fades, another 2" wide, and the stave is about 2" wide.  All are near 6' long, and the shot of me holding it over my shoulder has all 4 in the sock.  For the "to-trade" socks I will change how I attach the handle, probably not use fleece.  I don't want to use the artificial leather either because I want to use that for the bottom tip protectors.  I'll take a look when I'm at the store tomorrow.  Again, suggestion are welcomed. 

For stave length I'd prefer on the longer end since I have abnormally long arms like some sort of monkey and my draw length is 29.5".  I'm not picky as to type of wood, just that it works and I can get a full draw (for me) bow out of it.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2013, 01:17:29 am »
Canvas maybe?

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Rufledt

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2013, 01:44:04 am »
I'll see what they have.  It's a fabric store that I haven't been to yet (they are the local dealer of a kind of sewing machine my wife wants) so I don't know what all they have, but it it turns out to be poorly stocked I can always go to the other places

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2013, 12:18:59 pm »
  PM ME
 Well work something out.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING