Author Topic: What handle for this hatchet?  (Read 3313 times)

Offline lostarrow

Re: What handle for this hatchet?
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2013, 10:51:34 am »
When you sharpen it , it should be beveled on the one side only. As stated it is a Carpenter's axe, Carvers axe  . They are usually razor sharp and are used sort of like a big chisel The handle you made should work well ,as they are meant to be held close to the head for most control during most operations. The handles are usually offset  as well so it can be used with the flat side down with no interferance. The cut out  behind the blade is so you can get your hand in close when you choke upon it. More of a  roughing out and cleanup before planes kind of tool.Not for chopping down trees. I'd been looking for one for quite a while that wouldn't break my budget, and found one yesterday for 15 bucks. Mine was abused more than yours and will need a lot more tlc. Remember , only polish the flat side , and sharpen  from the bevel side , or it will want to keep skipping out of the wood on you.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 10:58:42 am by lostarrow »

Offline _Jon_

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2013, 02:28:45 am »
Member of "Twin Oaks Bow Hunters,"  Chapmansboro, Tennessee

Offline CaptainBeaky

• Maker of stuff
    • Westmead Artificing
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2013, 06:06:46 am »
Very pretty, and a lovely head - good find, that is.
I'd be slightly concerned about the grain run in your piece of elm, but it isn't a hatchet for heavy chopping, so probably OK.

+1 to lostarrow's comment - polish the flat side and sharpen the bevel, then strop to remove the wire edge - this should be shaving-sharp.

Rob - nice collection there :D Is the middle one a Stefan Ronnquist?
The law hangs the man and flogs the woman
That steals the goose from off the common
But lets the greater villain loose
That steals the common from under the goose.