Author Topic: stupid BBO...  (Read 4743 times)

Offline bow101

Re: stupid BBO...
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2013, 11:04:52 pm »

Improper tillering and he pulled it to far...!!! time and time again we go through this. ???  it's never fun breaking a bow with all the time we put in them.

I'm afraid I have to disagree... The only tiller shot I posted was from last night. I fixed most of the problem with that pic and felt like we were moving in the right direction. The limbs were flexing well and I didn't see any movement in the riser with just a freckle of movement in the fades. Obviously, it was a tension failure, but it looks like I put a knife to be nodes and cut them both at the same time. When in fact, I didn't even touch them there. I scraped up to them and that was it.

How bout this... It was bamboo, hickory, Osage belly, Osage power lam, cherry, and mesquite handle. Did the hickory cause this meltdown? Was the Osage too compression strong and the boo just couldn't hold up? I trapped and rounded the belly quite a bit to counter act this.

I know we have some brilliant laminant minds out there so lets here from you pros.

Scott

Ok, i was only assuming it was bad tillering, I broke a few board bows, one obviously had some grain run-off.............but in all seriousness it was pulling over 60# if I had shaved more off in the proper areas and got'er down to say 50# the bow would still be intact. 
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline medicinewheel

Re: stupid BBO...
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2013, 03:26:18 am »
Bad bamboo, broke to cleanly at the nodes to be anything else.

Clear as can be. See nothing wrong with tiller at that state. Just go for another.
Side profile looked BEAUTIFUL.
Frank from Germany...