Author Topic: Question on arrows  (Read 1510 times)

Offline Scottski

Question on arrows
« on: May 09, 2013, 10:28:59 pm »
I have never spined arrows before cause they have all been river cane. Built a spine tester and going to start making wood arrows soon. So my question is after stain, cresting and a sealer does it increase spine?
Did the Native Americans think about all this that much or just do it?

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: Question on arrows
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 10:44:35 pm »
Not the true spine of the shaft,
But as far as the dynamic spine (when shooting the arrow)........  Fletching and cresting or any weight added to the nock end of the shaft will stiffen the spine and any weight added to the point end will weaken the spine.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Scottski

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 10:49:20 pm »
My bow is about 43 lbs at 28 so my arrow spine starting out should be around 43 or so to match my bow.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 09:38:50 am »
Scottski,
             That's a good start, having a spine machine but there are so many variables you have to consider. What type of handle design, what point weight, finished arrow length and the list goes on and on. If your 43# at 28" with a non center shot bow using 125grn points with a 29'' arrow 40 to 45 spine might be a good start. The great thing about your spine machine is once you find what works you can copy it every time. 35 to 40 may be the magic number...Good luck and go at it. I always spine and here's one I made off a website sometime ago
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Scottski

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 06:30:34 pm »
It gets more confusing the more I think about it!  Lmbo!!!!

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 07:31:14 pm »
ditto what Donald said........................
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2013, 02:19:11 am »
Google "James Hill spine tester" and you'll get info to build a spine tester similar to burcher.donald.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC