Author Topic: Ever get more reflex than your caul?  (Read 1202 times)

Offline k-hat

Ever get more reflex than your caul?
« on: March 23, 2013, 09:01:10 am »
I just tempered in full limb reflex on a hickory bow with the same caul i've been using for the past two years.  The caul has a 2.5" elliptical curve to it.  Well, when i pulled the limb off the caul, it sprung back as i released the clamps into 4.5" inches of reflex :o

It was kind of funny cuz when i took the first clamp off the tip, the tip didn't move and sez to myself "nice... no spring back", and then the amazement came.  Most of the extra reflex is in the outer 2/3 of the limb, dunno how that's going to affect tiller yet. 

Haven't had this happen before, wondering if anyone else has?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Ever get more reflex than your caul?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 09:25:27 am »
Was your wood bone dry? No, Ive never had the happen by the way Kevin but it can if it wants to!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 10:01:03 am »
No,but it should hold up for ya through tillering.I've had bows go into more reflex especially hickory as it dries as a stave then increase in reflex as wood is removed from the belly of the stave on it's own.Hickory is the only wood so far I've seen do this but I bet other woods at times do it too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 10:10:30 am »
  PEARLS right it had a little mosture and your heating dryed it out some.
  If your going to use heat do it when you cut it down at simi bow form or at least a floor tiller.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline k-hat

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 10:26:03 am »
well i'm pretty sure it was dry.  It is from a board a sliced off a 2"x6.5"x80" slab of hickory from my local supplier.  I've had hick in the past from them which wasn't quite dry.  This one i had tillered out to 20" with less than 1/2" of set before i tempered it yesterday.  Moisture content was my first thought, but just wasn't sure.  Guess it'll definitely be dry now! ;)

Offline k-hat

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 03:58:09 pm »
Well now this bites.  I did the aforementioned surprise reflex job on Friday.  This morning i did the other limb.  Went home at lunch and took'r off the caul (it was cool, and hoping to see 5"), and no springback, but only 3" reflex >:(  The other you can see measures almost 5":

Now that's pretty perplexing.  Not that big a deal but it's a little annoying.  As they say, wood does what wood does.

Now i need to make a decision to put more reflex in the 3" limb to match the other, or leave it as is and tiller.  I may throw some temp nocks on(in a couple days) and give'r a quick bend just until they straighten out .  If they straighten out together, that will confirm my suspicion that the less reflexed limb is the stiffer one, and i will tiller as is.  If the less reflexed straightens first, then i think i'll reflex it some more to match.