Author Topic: Maple from Georgia  (Read 1241 times)

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

Maple from Georgia
« on: April 07, 2013, 12:36:48 am »
hello folks I have a friend who recently went to Georgia. He found some trees that look to be maple. They are straight and the leaves look like maple. I was wondering if georgia has predominately rock maple or sugar maple? also how good is sugar maple and rock maple. I have only used maple in  board form so I was wondering what your guys experience was.
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY

Online Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Maple from Georgia
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 01:08:52 am »
Probably most of the maples in GA are red maples, a softer maple. Might be more sugar maple in North GA. Sugar maple has a shaggy bark and red maple has smooth bark. Be sure he wasn't looking at sweetgum. It might make a bow if you could split it.  ;D It is worse than elm to split. Sweetgum has a furrowed bark.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 09:39:55 pm »
Uh...rock maple IS sugar maple...lol....same tree Cesar  :laugh: ...other than what pat described for bark,the leafs are pretty easy to distinguish between one of the "soft" maples(red,silver,etc...) do your leaf search n find pics...hard maple is the only maple with a round between each lobe point on the leaf and has five points

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 11:30:58 am »
When someone makes a positive ID, could we use the latin name for trees?  It helps to clear confusion
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 11:35:57 am »
Pekane, good luck with the botanical manes. I've been trying for years to get folks to use botanical names.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 11:57:52 am »
Pat, I hear you...  at least these days we have google-fu to help clear things up.  I'd say we can start the revolution but it's been 10 years for me and no dice.
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018