Author Topic: Finally won a stave on ebay!  (Read 2527 times)

Offline kinslayer1965

Finally won a stave on ebay!
« on: March 10, 2013, 10:36:07 am »
Well i finally won an auction for a stave. BL 59"L. Recently cut so my plan is to build a form to clamp it to while it finishes drying out. Any other ideas as to how much reflex or bow designs would be appreciated. I am not big on bendy handles but might be the way to go.

I will be posting some pictures of my red oak board bow soon. I have put 100 arrows or so through it and it is still going strong. Even twisted up my own string for it. Pretty good feeling shooting something you built yourself!

CR
"a man without a stick will get bitten, even by sheep"

Offline okie64

Re: Finally won a stave on ebay!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 11:42:50 am »
Its a great feeling! Wait and see how excited you are when you kill a deer with it, its an awesome feeling. What kinda draw length will you be going for with the black locust stave? At 59" I would make it a bendy handle unless you are going for a short draw length bow.

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 12:19:59 pm »
Its a great feeling! Wait and see how excited you are when you kill a deer with it, its an awesome feeling. What kinda draw length will you be going for with the black locust stave? At 59" I would make it a bendy handle unless you are going for a short draw length bow.

Agreed.

You can build up the handle a little so it feels like you're gripping a stiff handle.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 12:23:25 pm by Dictionary »
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 12:48:25 pm »
Especially with BL your tillering is gonna have to be right on to prevent fretting on a 59" bow, even with a bendy handle for a 28" or even a 26" draw.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 12:49:53 pm »
Hmmm yea your probably better off doing a bend through the handle unless you were to sinew back it then you could prob do stiff handle an maybe still get a 28 inch draw
I like osage

Offline kinslayer1965

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 02:32:49 pm »
Well i hope to get as much draw length wise as possible. I am 6'5" and 30" would be nice but i will go where the wood leads me. I just want to build a nice bow. If it ends up going to a friend with a shorter draw that is fine as well. I figure i have a good bit of time to think about it as the wood needs to dry out.

It was surprising just how satisfying it was to shoot my own bow. Even making my own string was making me smile. I used paracord wrap for the handle and like it but i feel some leather working tools in my future.

My goal is to hunt this fall with a bow that i built with my own hands.

Thanks for all the inspiration everyone!

CR
"a man without a stick will get bitten, even by sheep"

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 02:34:39 pm »
SWEET!   8)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 08:15:30 pm »
Having only worked one piece of locust so far, and it had a fungus issue that kept making growth rings delamitate, i will leave the advise to those with more experience with BL. But i wish you great success with hunting with your self bows. As already stated there is no greater feeling than harvesting game with equipment you made yourself. I managed to arrow a rabbit at 20+ yards a few years ago and am more proud of that rabbit than the biggest deer i ever killed. Even the deer harvested with the same equipment.
Steve Bennett