Author Topic: How long will a well made selfbow really last ???  (Read 6288 times)

Offline Joec123able

How long will a well made selfbow really last ???
« on: March 10, 2013, 02:55:57 pm »
I want to hear everyone's thoughts on this many people tell me Ohh a good selfbow will last about 10 years but the person saying that has never even had a self bow for ten years. Then some people tell me a well made self bow will last a lifetime. None of my bows are even close to 10 years old but I want to hear from people who have selfbows they made 10+ years ago
I like osage

Offline twilightandmist

• My Etsy Shop:
Re: How long will a well made selfbow really last ???
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 02:59:15 pm »
really depends on a lot of factors. the wood its made from, its length, bow style, frequency of use, conditions of use, whether or not it receives regular care and maintenance, where it is stored, what kind of finish it has, etc. i have a lemonwood longbow that was my grandfather's that still shoots like a brand new bow, but then i have a few others of the same age that i wouldn't dare even try to string.
My Longbow in one hand, My Colt 1860 Army in the other, and both feet in the past.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 03:05:36 pm »
Indefinately if properly cared for.
  I have selfbows with more than 10,000 shot through them and they are still going strone. I also have a few old lemonwood bow that were made in the 40s or earlier and if I wanted to take the time and effort to reeducate them to shoot they would do just fine.
 A few of the Mary Rose War Bows have been shot I think. They were under water for 500 years before they were recovered.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 03:10:38 pm »
I have an osage bow that was a gift to me in the mid 90s. Not really knowing anything about primitive bows at the time, I took no special care of it other than knowing not to leave it strung. It just hung on a rack until last year when I shot a round at the Spring Fling at Tannehill. It shot fine and still appears to be in good shape. Not sure about other woods, though.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 03:46:04 pm »
Yea I would assume Osage bows would be more durable than any white wood bow. I'm glad to here about old selfbows still going strong
I like osage

Offline IndianGuy

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 03:49:52 pm »
Im still shooting a osage "D" bow that was made in 1992 its shoots as good as it did the day it was made. I oil it occasionally and shoot it all the time, it well exceeds  10,000 shots.  :P
An I agree with with Pat when he says "indefinately if properly cared for".

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 03:56:02 pm »
Really glad to hear tht because I have a Osage stave about to be turned into a D bow  8)
I like osage

Offline dmenzies1950

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 07:36:41 pm »
I built a mountain maple bow in 1989. Stump shot it almost every day for about 10 years, harvested several deer and an elk with it, then hung it on the wall! It still shot as good on that last shot as when it was new!     Dale
"His bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One, the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel." Genesis 49:24

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 07:46:00 pm »
Yea I would assume Osage bows would be more durable than any white wood bow. I'm glad to here about old selfbows still going strong

I don't think this is true. 

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 08:59:53 pm »
A bow made of any bow wood will last indefinately if handled properly. An osage bow might last longer laying in the grass but inside your house any bow will last if handled properly.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2013, 09:13:30 pm »
Yea yea I guess a white wood bow could last just as long if it was made with the right design but white woods tend to take more string follow compared to Osage made with the same design
I like osage

mikekeswick

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 04:46:01 am »
Assuming makes an a## out of you and me!
This assumption is wrong! A well made bow is a well made bow. Well made means taking into account everything that matters.
To answer the original question - a well made bow that is looked after correctly will last indefinitely. That is a simple sentence but not a simple statement!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 08:40:13 am by Pappy »

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 08:44:31 am »
Like others have said,for years if made right and mostly cared for properly.
String properly/Un string when not in use/not over drawn and kept in dry conditions when not in use. :) They will usually take a little set in time if shot a bunch but still shoot fine,maybe even a little sweeter and keep shooting for years. ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2013, 09:35:26 am »
  Like someone said there's couple things that matter no matter what you beleive,read or been taught. You have to start with well seasoned stave. THis not only will give you a long lasting bow. But it will ensure that you bow limbs can take the prussure your going to puting them. I know the next bigest thing that destorys your bow from lasting is the use of heat on working parts of the bow.
    I'm not saying you should use any heating but there's nothing that will shorten your bows life as heat on the limbs. Yea your bow comes out looking #1 but do'nt exspect it to shot 40,50,000 arrows. Theres ways of getting around heating. Staves prepaired while green,straighten and reflexed, tips come in line by tillering. I do use heat but only on handles to bring the tips inline, then only if I have to.
  I made bows for almost 23 years stoped useing heat about 14 or 15 years back. In that time I'm not sure how many bows I've sold,traded,gave away. It was never a bissness and I never kept records. I've never heard of or had one brought back. I made it know if for any reason bring me the bow. If it's my fault I'll replace it.
   Next storeing has something to do with it. I do'nt care want kind of a bow it is. It can,t take years standing in the corner. Gravity will take it's tole it let leaning. Store your bow on pegs or flat some way. And you have to keep it water proff.
    Personly I have a couple bows a osage the first I built a hickory I shot at least a 100,000 times in 7 years. Retired it after 13 bucks. When a friend started traditional he used it another 2 years.
  I have a oasge I made in 96 or 97 I used a couple years now use it as a bask up. Shoot it everyyear a good bit. It's been shot way to many times to remember. But my favoret was a 60"57#@26 osage I built in 94, 3 for a guy 1 for him 1 for his wife and 1 for his son. His son got killed I got it back in about 4 yrears solded it. Got it back in a trade after a few more years.
  I had 2 strokes in 06 had to go down in weight. Always shot low 60's. Shot and hunted with it hard for 4 years trying to get back to where I was. Some else has it now I came out to the truck one morning after gobbler hunting a old guy stoped to talk. I set my bow down around the corner of the truck. 8 HOURS LATER I REMEMBERED IT. So it's likely still shooting but not by me.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING