Author Topic: Lowes Bow  (Read 7590 times)

Offline k-hat

Re: Lowes Bow
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2013, 02:13:36 pm »
Ur one lucky dog with that friend of yours!!  Those are some nice looking backings!  Good luck and looking forward to you're progress.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2013, 03:39:23 pm »
I agree with Blackhawk.If it were me,id save the backing strip,for a more deserving board.You dont find em that good,for a selfbow,very often.

Offline Rufledt

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2013, 04:43:32 pm »
Everything around me stopped carrying Maple.   >:(

Grady

I've noticed my local Lowe's has a dwindling supply of maple and no maple on their website anymore.  Not cool.  Oak is great and all, but another option would be great without having to drive to the lumberyard.

Offline tgtmatt

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2013, 06:51:56 pm »
This is a tad bit off topic, but what do you guys think about ordering boards online from homedepot/lowes or going to the store and having it delivered? My local homedepot said they will order cherry, maple, zebrawood, and a bunch more types of hardwood but I just don't want to take the chance and it not be a good grain because most boards do have terrible grain.

Offline bow101

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2013, 06:58:39 pm »

Grady

I've noticed my local Lowe's has a dwindling supply of maple and no maple on their website anymore.  Not cool.  Oak is great and all, but another option would be great without having to drive to the lumberyard.

Go out in the bush and get some wood.... ::)
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Rufledt

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2013, 02:12:47 pm »

Grady

I wish I could!  I live in boston, every tree is owned, and I doubt they would take kindly to me cutting down trees in the park.  They do, however, have the species on a metal sign nailed to the tree, so it would be easy to identify!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 02:28:06 pm by Rufledt »

Offline autologus

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2013, 02:35:58 pm »
I have, I have some hickory and ERC drying right now but probably won't be ready for close to a year.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline Maxspin

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2013, 02:56:09 pm »
This is a tad bit off topic, but what do you guys think about ordering boards online from homedepot/lowes or going to the store and having it delivered? My local homedepot said they will order cherry, maple, zebrawood, and a bunch more types of hardwood but I just don't want to take the chance and it not be a good grain because most boards do have terrible grain.

NO!
I am fortunate in that I drive by two Home Depots and a Lowes at least once a week. I stop regularly at several stores looking for usable wood. I walk out empty handed much more often than I buy a board. I have looked at the local lumber stores that carry hardwoods, and have never found straight grained wood. I would never buy a board that I had not seen in advance.

Keith

Offline Maxspin

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2013, 03:07:42 pm »
Caught a break in the weather, so I got the profile cut. Went with a flat bow design 68” long 2 ¼” wide tapering last 20” to 1/2” tips. I followed good advice and put the “A” oak board away for a self bow, and cut a B+ board.

Offline bow101

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2013, 04:04:04 pm »

I wish I could!  I live in boston, every tree is owned, and I doubt they would take kindly to me cutting down trees in the park.  They do, however, have the species on a metal sign nailed to the tree, so it would be easy to identify!

Ahh that is a problem city dwelling.. ::)   Your opportunity awaits if you ever venture into the country side.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Maxspin

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2013, 12:06:13 pm »
Got the glue up done this weekend. Was going for a RD. Didn’t get as much D as I wanted, but am pretty happy with a first attempt of a RD.
 Handle is being glued on in the picture.

Offline Maxspin

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2013, 11:00:46 am »
I got the bow on the tree last weekend. This is my first RD bow. Looks like I did pretty good on the floor tillering this time. I am looking for some pointers before I pull any farther.
Looking at the pictures it looks like it is bending a little too much at the fades……