Author Topic: Reapir a kids bow.  (Read 1553 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Reapir a kids bow.
« on: March 10, 2013, 11:54:54 am »
A friend dropped off his son's unbacked hickory bow asking if I could fix some significant set/string follow and possibly increase the the draw weight a bit.

I know you should never back flex a bow.  But if I calmp this thing straight while the glue on the maple backing strip I cut dries in the glue oven will that be ok or it still is going to cause a problem?

2-3" of set in the bow overal.
Thanks.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: Reapir a kids bow.
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 12:02:54 pm »
You can back flex it some, just not TOO much.  I and others reverse brace when heat tempering. 
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Reapir a kids bow.
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 01:13:35 pm »
like Bob said, you can back bend it some but adding a new back to a bow with a damaged belly seems unproductive to me. You could reduce the belly side some and add a belly lam or even toast the belly while the bow is in a reflex form...but is it worth it?
  What is the draw weight now and what do you want it to be when you're done?  In most cases I think a new bow would be more appropriate than trying to fix the old one. The bow was overstressed and took set at the draw it was originally tillered too. Stressing it more isn't gonna make it a better bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC