Author Topic: A piece of twisted hickory that started straight? What do I do now?!  (Read 9575 times)

Offline twisted hickory

Re: A piece of twisted hickory that started straight? What do I do now?!
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2013, 12:22:06 am »
Well guys the twist is still in the bow after tillering down to 59 lbs at 27 inches. I gotta set up the jig next weekend then do some "twisting" on it ;) I will try to straighten out the propeller twist while putting about 3 inches of deflex in it. Hopefully the propeller twist will stay out of it as if it does it will make a great hunting bow. I have spring break next week I plan on harvesting a 14 inch red elm tree and a 12 inch black locust tree as well for my next trial on bows for the fall. I still have three hickory staves left that I will finish debarking and set them aside for later. This is fun. I would like to have a nice elm target bow and a nice one made out of black locust.
Some say if tillered right black locust makes a wonderful bow. Hickory is great but no matter how careful I try to tiller it it always has a couple of inches of string follow right after unstringing it. Its not much of a bother since the original bow has 2.5 inches and it shoots great.
Thanks for the advice
Greg

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2013, 01:45:56 am »
I don't see the problem? it seems really lined up to me ...? Maybe i'm blind?
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

mikekeswick

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2013, 03:28:13 am »
Seriously forget about trying to remove the twist.
If the limbs are the same thickness either side then it really isn't a problem.
Just do what I said with the handle! It will take 10 mins maximum and it will be fixed forever.
It's quite hard to explain.....I don't mean just reducing the handle width to 'bring it over' to the string.....no no no!
Right lets try another explanation....
Hold your hands out in front of you with a finger on each pointing out.
String the bow.
Rest the bow string on your fingers so the bow is hanging below.
Gravity will make the string 'line-up' with the handle.
Notice that when viewed from directly above the string in now in the middle of the handle.
Now walk over to your vice with the bow in this gravity assisted orientation  ;) and clamp it by the handle. Notice that the handle is now clamped by two 'corners'.
Remove these two corners.
The other two corners can be built up with pieces of leather soaked in glue if necessary, then shaped.

So to summerise....you are re-shaping the orientation of the handle not just keeping it in the same plane and reducing one side.
Hope this makes sense. It may look a little weird when done but not much and it WILL fix any twisting in the hand when shot. Which is the only thing that matters!

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2013, 07:38:04 am »
Seriously forget about trying to remove the twist. ???  I really can't understand your thinking Mike. :-\  Sure it will shoot but some folks, and Greg seems to be one of them don't want the propeller in the limbs. Easy to take it out so why not if that is what he wants. I know some don't believe in doing anything to a stave ,just use what you have to work with and I have done that but he wants to know how to get it out ,not that it will be OK if he don't. Either way Greg,nice looking bow. ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

mikekeswick

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2013, 08:47:10 am »
My thinking and it's only my thinking is that there is simply no need to remove propellor twist. The op asked me to explain what I had said earlier so I was just trying to make it clearer.
If he wants to remove it then cool.
In bow making there are many ways to get a shooting bow. :)

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2013, 08:52:23 am »
Yep,my thoughts exactly.  :)
Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2013, 10:18:01 am »
Prop twist on that one is  :o :o :o :o Seriously some artistry to get that thing to shoot. I do have a piece of elm that needs split into a stave that will look something like that I think.
The bow will shoot with the twist in it as the handle doesn't twist very bad. I just wanna see if I can straighten her out, in the amout of tinkering with the handle by building it up and re shaping it and such I could spend the same time and have a bow that has a toasted belly and has no twist when strung. I would like to see if I can take this piece of wood and  make it something... I do want to build a few character bows but for now I would like to have 4 nice symmetrical or kinda symmetrical reliable bows hanging on the wall...Then,,,I wanna do some tricky wood. Man I do love the pict posted of the twisted bow...I do want to build one like that sometime...I even got my eye on a certian branch on my property that would look just like that. I am not sure what kind of wood it is but i think some sort of elm. I know it's not red elm as I know what that looks like
Makin shavins
Greg

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2013, 12:03:31 pm »
   I'd say PAPPY be right but to said it lays flat untrung. I f it was'nt seasoned you have plenty of set and string follow. I'll go along with GEORGE you should have seen this seen tillering. You can unswist by removeing wood form the thick side. You lost weight so if you have a intended weight you'll have to shorten the bow or if you need it that lenth. Sinew it to gain the weight you need.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2013, 12:57:08 pm »
I did see it in tillering and I was like :o during spring break I will straighten it and keep ya all up dated through the summer. I gotta problem, I'm an addict ::)
Greg.

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2013, 01:59:42 am »
I see what ya mean about wanting to have some nice straight bows. I used to think that would be cool too. But alas i've never found a straight piece of wood  ;D It's cool 'cuz on that wonky bow, it untwists as you draw it... feels weird.... I've pretty much given up trying to make a bow completely straight lol.
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2013, 10:02:57 am »
twisted, asked our advice, Pappy. He can do what he wants. I say be like the Beatles. Celebrate the twist ("Twist and Shout"). There was nothing wrong with the way this bow shot. I ended up giving it away to a friend. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/aerobow.html
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2013, 12:08:31 pm »
How about this to the mix....More than one bow of mine with propeller twist prior to bracing will actually go somewhat away after bracing and being shot.....You'll feel your way though this one.You've got enough poundage to play with if your careful.I've heard all good advice on this one.
One time a new bow braced up for the first time for me with the string way off the handle.Long story short I had a bowed center line drawn....LOL.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2013, 12:18:45 pm »
There has been lots of great advice on this thread.  More than one way to skin a cat... 

I liked Mike's tip with the gravity thing and taking it to the vice.  I don't know if it will fix this bow to your satisfaction, but it sounds like a way to make any twisted bow shoot better or at least feel better in the hand.  Sounds like something I will try in the future.   
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi