Author Topic: Tillering Check  (Read 1952 times)

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
Tillering Check
« on: March 07, 2013, 12:07:32 am »
Two firsts - using mulberry and a bend in handle.  Could use some expert advise :-\

About 63" NTN  1 1/4" wide middle third - tapering to 5/8 and each end.  Lower limb has 4 knots - upper 1 knot.  Looking for 45 - 50# at 27 1/2".

Pics of unbraced profile, ~6" brace, and drawn to 18".

How is the tillering looking so far?  Where to go from here?  Thanks for the help gents.

Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline randman

Re: Tillering Check
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 12:56:30 am »
Looks a little bit stiff on the outer left limb and a tiny bit stiff at towards the fades on both limbs. What does the back profile look like?
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 04:15:05 am »
You say it's going to bend in the handle?... when? >:D  ;)
As you apply full draw weight do you see any movement in the handle?
I tend to tiller by watching out for a hint of flex near the middle then leave that alone and look to the rest of the limb.
Looks stiff in the grip and inner limb as if you have a riser in there. Outer 1/3 looks maybe a tad stiff.
Right limb is better than left
Del
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 04:18:11 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 06:25:21 am »
I'm with Del on the handle and the arrows you have look about right for a little wood removal. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 08:27:00 am »
On bendys I get the limbs even at 18-20". Then I slowly narrow and reduce thickness on the center 8-9" unitl it starts to bend with the rest of the bow. Dont wait, if you do you will have a 30# bow by the time the handle budges ever so slightly. Sometimes we get caught up in full arc tillers, its not the only way to make a "bendy" or working handle bow. Yours is quite long for a 27" draw. Dont be scared to leave the handle a touch stiff. It will handle very nicely.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 01:33:32 pm »
Thanks for the replys!  From what reading I have done it was suggested to wait on the handle area until the limbs were bending - sounds like it is time to work the handle area a bit.  Think I will take Pearls advice and leave it a bit stiff but working.

I too think the left looks stiffer than the right - the tillering gizmo says otherwise?  Might be because of all the knots on the left?

Thanks again.
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 01:39:27 pm »
I make the whole bow bend when Its very short, under 50". Otherwise leaving the center a touch stiff makes for a handshock free bow. My 57" trade bow for Josh was tillered that way. My little horse bow was 98% full compass at only 45" long.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.