Author Topic: Cotton cloth for decorative backing?  (Read 1705 times)

Offline Sidewinder

Cotton cloth for decorative backing?
« on: March 04, 2013, 10:26:37 pm »
Just wanted to know if anyone has used cotton cloth of any type for a decorative backing. I realize it probabaly does nothing for protection or to increase weight but just want to make sure that it will stretch enough once glued to not have issues. Feedback is appreciated.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
Re: Cotton cloth for decorative backing?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 10:34:39 pm »
I've used cotton, works great! Won't add weight, but might help out with potential splinters.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline DavidV

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 11:00:10 pm »
Put it on the way it stretches the least, and then make sure it's stretched when you glue it on. I've used denim as an OKAY backing.
Springfield, MO

Offline bow101

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 11:24:01 pm »
I used denim on a sappling. Personally I like it, easy to apply unlike silk, and it looks good I think. And will use it again. If you use TB3 glue for appllication you have to slap on 3 coats before it saturates.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 12:52:53 am »
Thats good news, what if you saterate the cloth with water first and then wring it out then put it on. You recun you might not need to use three applications of TBIII?  Danny

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 01:11:47 am »
I don't get the whole stretching thing? I know forever there has been a prejudice against stretch, but why? Does sinew stretch? I realize sinew has a elastic rubber band ability, but what is wrong with stretch? Would a wood bow with NO backing stretch less? I personally see any backing as a way to protect wood from splitting....and that's all there is too it. (that being all backings weighing the same)

VMB
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 02:44:41 am »
Well it went on good It has dried some and I trimmed the edges nice and clean. It was a leopard skin pattern for my step moms little 35lb Hackberry bow. I had dyed it with oxblood leather dye last night but it was too loud and was just missing something, so I glued the cotton leopard skin over it and now it looks like a pickish hued leopard so I'm pleased. I think she will be too. Thanks for the encouragement. It didn't take long.   Danny

Offline randman

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 03:57:33 am »
Sooo Danny, lets see some pics of this pinkish leopard. Yer mom's gonna love it I'm sure. What is it with women and leopard prints anyway, my wife's got leopard everything.........
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline bow101

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 01:09:33 pm »
Thats good news, what if you saterate the cloth with water first and then wring it out then put it on. You recun you might not need to use three applications of TBIII?  Danny

The fabric was wet down before application..    ;D
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 10:28:19 am »
I'll try and post pics soon. By the way, it still needed the three coats of TBIII.  Danny

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 11:03:53 am »
Any cloth can be used for bow backing.    IMO, the thinner the better because the more glue you use the heavier the backing will be. That is why linen and silk are so good. They are both thin but strong. Silk is very stretchy and linen hardly stretches so I don't think stretch matters that much. Once glue is added the backing becomes more rigid anyway.
 Thin cotton cloth should be OK. Cotton is more absorbant so it will soak up more glue so use a thinner cloth.  Also, you want the glue to completely saturate the cloth for best results, making it a matrix of the glue/cloth similar to fiber glass cloth and resin.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2013, 12:03:39 pm »
Pat, thanks for the input. I did it just as you said. It turned out well. Have done a couple snakes skins and a couple linen backed but nothing else. It seems to have wored well and once the handle treatment is on and the tru oil finish I will post it.   Danny