Author Topic: Osage question  (Read 1139 times)

Offline phoenix

Osage question
« on: March 04, 2013, 03:11:01 am »
I found a board of osage at a nearby timber yard, but the grain is not particularly straight and there are several run offs. Would it be ok to buy this sort of thing and cut it up for use as belly lams? I've heard before that the grain on the belly does not matter anywhere near as much as on the back, but I still wanted to get other opinions.

Tom

Offline chamookman

Re: Osage question
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 04:30:43 am »
Go for it ! Get Ya some Bamboo or Hickory for a backing, and You're off and running. Good luck - Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline phoenix

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 06:17:44 am »
I'm actually going for something a little less standard. I have a somewhat underweight (~20#) white oak board bow, and I am planning to use the osage both to up the draw weight a little, and to try and prevent any more set (I understand that white oak is excellent in tension).

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 09:42:48 am »
I got a full one inch thick osage board, last year. It was about 8 in wide and 8 ft long. I have made several bows from it. The grain was all over the place. I have backed some with bamboo and some with hickory with success. It is pretty forgiving. Not sure about long-term life (years), though.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA