Author Topic: Trying Cane Arrows  (Read 2459 times)

Offline Lee Vivian

Trying Cane Arrows
« on: March 09, 2013, 11:48:41 am »
A good friend, Matt Gundock who posts on PA, has recently started working with bamboo/cane for arrows...and to my surprise he sent me one of his finished arrows to try out....while I am no expert...I think he got it figured out!

According to Matt, it is River Cane, weights 600+ grains, and he used sinew to wrap at the fletch and nock....

Once again, thanks Matt...it will get shot a little, then get a Zwickey glued on, and put away till hunting season when it will be the first arrow out of my quiver!

I am so starting to like cane and bamboo...my longbow made by Charlie Jefferson is bamboo backed osage....that my wife just picked up a Bamboo "starter kit" for me....

Looks like it will be a while before I get to harvest any of my own!

Lee

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
Re: Trying Cane Arrows
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 12:14:49 pm »
You got a great start the Lee.  Glad for you.  And really nice looking cane arrow there.

Offline Mikeeeeeeeeee

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 02:07:37 pm »
I just made 4 from switch cane. Love them.

Offline Matt G.

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 02:39:01 pm »
Lee I messed up on the description. It's Hill Cane not River cane. A little more mojo for ya is the cane cane from our own Pat B.  still got a lot to learn on the cane.  ;D
Keeping the Faith!
Matt

Offline Lee Vivian

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 09:29:28 am »
Thanks, Matt.  That makes it even more special knowing where it came from!

Offline Lee Vivian

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 04:57:20 pm »
Well, shot the arrow from my longbow..and it flew well.....I think it complements the longbow quite well!

Offline aero86

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 06:18:21 pm »
i love using cane myself. i started on bamboo stakes from home depot. but then i found a spot near me where river cane grows. so ive switched to that. not the best of the canes, but if i pick selectively, they work awesome. im very happy with it.
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 12:19:09 am »
Nice arrow Lee. You can't go wrong with arrows from Matt. He's a quick study on cane arrows. Its your turn next.  ;) We gotta get you making bows and cane arrows.
 That cane plant your wife bought you probably won't make too good of arrows. We have some in out kitchen window and it is pretty fleshy...but it is cool stuff anyway. You can braid it as it grows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Lee Vivian

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 01:22:57 am »
Yeah, Pat. The plant was her little dig at me and my new found obsession.

Next step is to try my own. This is uncharted waters for me, though! 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 01:41:07 am »
You have lots of good, willing navigators!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline stickbender

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 02:10:11 am »

Check your local nurseries, and tell them what you want.  Ask if they have any Japanese arrow bamboo, or Tonkin, etc.  They may not have those two types, but may have something similar, or may be able to tell you where you can get some plants.  Also if they do have some, ask if they prune them back, and if you can have the ones that were cut back, but be sure to get second year growth.  the ones with no culm sheaths, or dead sheaths. Cane is additive! >:D

Wayne

Offline bhenders

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 12:54:27 pm »
IF you can get and grow Japanese Arrow Bamboo, do so (It grows up to zone 5).  It will take a few years to get established and is a 'runner' so plant it somewhere it can run.  ( you can keep it under control by mowing around it).

It has long nodes and no branches and is thin walled.  Makes a light but strong arrow.  As above, use 2nd year clums.  There is a great youtube vid of a Japanese master making arrows, I'll see if I can find it and link it.  and here it is...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyejbipavWw&list=PL9907327A8447A869
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 12:58:12 pm by bhenders »