Author Topic: ERC dimensions  (Read 5173 times)

jdwilltx

ERC dimensions
« on: November 02, 2007, 12:05:17 pm »
I have ordered my dacron from 3 rivers and it should be here Monday.  So I cant do much to my red oak board bow til then.  My dad gave me a ERC log about 6 months ago and I split it in half about 2 months ago.  I want to use the heart wood and I have some thin rawhide for the backing.   I want to take it down to a closer size this weekend.  So what are some good starter dimensions?  The log is over 8 ft long.  Anyone got any good pictures of an ERC bow?

Offline Kegan

Re: ERC dimensions
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 12:08:51 pm »
Gerneally, you'll want it wider, longer, and thicker than other woods. I believe Marc St. Louis actually made an unbacked ERC warbow. If you want to make a D bow, then I'd say six feet long, an inch and a half wide at the handle, and about three fourths of an inch thick. That should give you enough wood to monitor weight.

Offline snedeker

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 12:30:27 pm »
How about for a 55# flatbow, rigid handle for 28" draw?  I have some too.

Dave

MattE

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 03:52:03 pm »
With a rigid handle, my best erc bow was 68" overall for a 28" pulling 55# draw weight.If I were to make another I would add a couple of inches.

Offline heavybow

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 04:04:18 pm »
The Bow made from marc is 78" long @32 125# marlon

jcougar

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 08:12:09 pm »

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 09:43:49 pm »
  If you are going to make a flat bow,I'd start out at 2" from the handle and taper it gradually to about the last third of the limb and back it with rawhide.And when floor tillering,don't bend it as much as you would other wood.It will blow before you expect it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?