Author Topic: OK, a Yew question  (Read 1981 times)

Offline Lee Slikkers

OK, a Yew question
« on: March 01, 2013, 10:17:32 pm »
Since this odd wood called Yew seems to be all the rage on the board as of late I thought I'd pose a question.  I've never worked with the stuff but I have access to a yew tree that may or may not have a couple usable bows hidden in it's midst somewhere.

What is the minimum diameter of a branch or trunk that will make a serviceable bow?  I guess length would be a second, needed component as well.

Thanks all!
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline Weylin

Re: OK, a Yew question
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 10:22:39 pm »
This bow was made with a ~4" diameter branch and it was 62# and I didn't feel like I was particularly pushing an envelopes in terms of design. I'm sure people have done more with less.
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,31002.msg410562.html#msg410562

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 10:29:41 pm »
Here's one I did from not even a 1 1/2" dia branch with knots n kinks...and only 59"....

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=33859.0

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 07:52:49 am »
If the tree is slowgrowth, the rings will be thin and the sapwood does not need to be thinned down. In that case, you can strip the bark off and use the branch/log as is, giving you the most wood to work with. I've made two yew bows out of 2½" diameter trees that way. I wouldn't go any smaller than a two inch diameter stick, since that will mean the heart of the wood will be in the finished limbs. That creates some problems with the wood around it lifting when you start tillering.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 08:01:02 am »
Dunno until you cut it... >:(
I've had 2" dia branches with more heartwood than 6" logs!
I'd say 3" dia is a reasonable minimum. If you don't have much heartwood don't try to split or saw, just chop away the bad 'half' to maximise your heartwood and reduce the sapwood thickness.
The ideal log doesn't need any work on the sapwood (but that's a rareity)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 08:53:54 am »
Thanks a ton for the info and help Weylin, Blackhawk, Darksoul and Del!  I am not sure I will be able to get much off this tree over a 3"-4" diameter so it will have to look very similar to the build you did Blackhawk, which would be just fine by me as that is the style I really like.  I appreciate the links to your bows guys...great inspiration for me.
~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 09:42:30 am »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 10:02:43 am »
This post on my blog shows what I mean!
http://bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/variability-of-yew.html
Del

Thanks Del, good article...I guess I won't really know how good this Yew is (heart to sap ratio) until I cut it.  Keeping my fingers crossed for  some decent heartwood, a nice dark color would be a bonus.
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline dwardo

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 10:06:54 am »
Dunno until you cut it... >:(
I've had 2" dia branches with more heartwood than 6" logs!
I'd say 3" dia is a reasonable minimum. If you don't have much heartwood don't try to split or saw, just chop away the bad 'half' to maximise your heartwood and reduce the sapwood thickness.
The ideal log doesn't need any work on the sapwood (but that's a rareity)
Del

Thinnest sapwood i have ever come across has always came from saplings that have been shaded out. Never had much luck with anything bigger and then had to go down the sapwood thinning road.
As you say dell dunno till its down.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 10:11:07 am »
Dwardo, I know this tree is fairly heavily shaded during the summer...it is down in a valley of some thick old growth hardwoods, fingers crossed.
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold