Author Topic: First bow ever Finshed!  (Read 3381 times)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: First bow ever Finshed!
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2013, 06:21:04 am »
As the bow drys and seasons, you may find it starts to chrysal on the belly (or even break). Don't worry, that's just life :laugh:
Great bow and a good way to start, green wood is more forgiving and it's got you started.
If you get some seasoned wood make the bow longer and don't expect such a tight bend, but on the plus side it will shoot harder and faster with less set.
Good job.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2013, 08:26:17 am »
What has been said is very good advice,but that is a very nice effort ,especially on your first.Lot of bend it that little stick.Very cool. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Parnell

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2013, 10:44:47 am »
Nicely done, they'll only improve!  Cut some more wood and let it sit, a year will go by in no time...
1’—>1’

Offline Barefoot_Jake

• "I don't regard nature as a spectator sport."
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2013, 11:41:30 am »
Nicely done, they'll only improve!  Cut some more wood and let it sit, a year will go by in no time...

I dont think i can wait that long haha!
For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another. 1 John 3:11 KJV

Need any help with anything? I will gladly try to help you

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2013, 11:47:43 am »
  Jake, rub some black shoe polish on that string... >:D  I know this has got you wanting to build another and another...Keep going at it, I like your bow for a first, way to go.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Jesse

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2013, 12:15:09 pm »
My first was made from underseasoned wood and it looked the same strung as un strung. Start seasoning some wood but until then you can have a lot of fun making bows from seasoned or kiln dried boards. My advice is to find a bow you like and try to copy it but make it a bit wider and longer to start with. The help on here you can help you get good very fast and you will  be producing hunting weight bows in no time. Keep up the good work. 8)
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark