Author Topic: sparrow hawk  (Read 2524 times)

Offline crooketarrow

sparrow hawk
« on: February 15, 2013, 08:34:32 am »
  Here's a sparrow hawk. I found him while scouting. I did'nt have a camera along but here's a picture of his skull.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: sparrow hawk
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 08:49:44 am »
Pretty cool find Roy. Im not sure if its legal to even touch them up here? Never found a dead falcon of any sort, so I guess Im safe for now.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 09:17:02 am »
  Never really gave it any though. I a coopers a buzzard and 2 screech and a barn owl. All were found dead except the one screech owl I hit with the truck and he was in the grill when I looked the next day. I got my first, a screech owl when I was a kid. My granddady always had quite a few owls and hawks  as pets. So I grew up around haveing them around. I love owls amonst other things I even have a owl tattoo.
  I'm sort of a skull freak I have dozzens and dozzens of all kinds. Most local I've traped, killed or just found scouting or hikeing.  I even have 2 human skulls. I have some where around 50 buck skulls bow and rifle. 38 Self bow skulls.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 01:16:50 am »
Not sure how you would explain the human skulls :o,but around here ,if you find a dead bird of prey you can bring it to the Ministry of Natural Resources (DNR for those south of the border)and fill out the appropriate paperwork to keep it legally.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 09:05:05 am »
Very cool. Human skulls would creep me out a little/ bad mojo or something. In IN, you would need an educational permit issued by the state to possess any part of a non game animal like this. Hard to obtain as a citizen.
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 08:39:45 pm »
I'm pretty sure it's not legal, along with the owl skulls and a few others.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 11:39:29 pm »
In the U.S. you MAY NOT possess those skulls or any other parts unless you can provide Tribal issued identitification and enrollment papers or else you have received a Special Use Permit/Education Permit.  And while I can't speak about how hard it is to obtain tribal enrollment, I can tell you that getting the Special Use Permit ain't exactly easy. 

I've got a sparrow hawk (American Kestrel) skull, but the bird is still using it! 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 09:02:16 am »
Wondered when you would chime in JW. ;) :) :) I thought that but figured you would know for sure. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 01:02:58 pm »
Oddly enough, there is no federal law against owning human bones, when they ahve been legally obtained of course.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 09:01:48 pm »
I'm not even going to ask how you know that about the human bones JW.  :o :-X ;) ;D

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 09:31:46 pm »
I got a full set!

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 09:27:54 am »
Me too! But like the Sparrow hawk, I'm still using them. I'm just going to assume you are talikng about the same. Sometimes , the less you know ,the better!LOL

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2013, 08:53:35 pm »
  I got the one human skull while hikeing in COLOMIBA in 80 OR 81. I got it from a witch doctor at a small village we camped in for the night. He had 11 skulls his great grandad and grandfather killed. The jaw is molded of with something and painted in the family crest. TO give it more power. HIS HUT SET 100 YARDS AWAY FROM EVERYONE ELSES.  ONLY PLACE I DID'NT LIKE STAYING. When I ask about him they just said let him be.
    I had a friend with a plane that made trips for MEXICO to OK.  You can guess what for. I mailed it to him in MEXICO he just mailed it to my mom. I got home some months later it was there. I also got a anaconda skull at another village in PURU I was told it was 21 feet long. It was stolen by a friend in 91. A guy there had a jagwire skull but would'nt come off of it. It was awesome the teeth were stained red.
  At the pryaimid of the moon in MEXICO can't remember the villages name you could buy human skulls. We had 100's of miles to hike and was going to get one when we came back but we came by along the GOLF OF MEXICO.
  The other human skull I found up north of QUEBEC bear hunting. Walking across a plowed field one day and found the other. I was told it was from a CREE indain. And others had been found in that same field. I was young then and just took it and both it home. It has also stolen.
  The hawks ,owls were all found dead at one time or another in my lifes travels.