Author Topic: Tip Width Vs Thickness  (Read 2536 times)

Offline JLoranger

• JLoranger Illustration
Tip Width Vs Thickness
« on: February 22, 2013, 08:32:32 pm »
I am working a Red Elm longbow (roughly 50# @ 27") at the moment and want to do a little recon before delving too deeply into a personal grey area. We would all agree that a deep/narrow tip is more efficient than a flat and wide one. But how thin could I safely push a tip that is 5/8 deep and is there a rule of thumb for this that might be useful to anyone with a similar question.

Thanks!
Giving it your best effort is what anyone should expect.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Tip Width Vs Thickness
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 08:45:03 pm »
At the nock 3/8" is pretty common and my tips are about 1/2" thick.   I don't shape the tips until first brace at least so you can see how the string tracks. If all goes well there you can narrow the tips to at least 3/8".
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JLoranger

• JLoranger Illustration
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 10:35:17 pm »
At the nock 3/8" is pretty common and my tips are about 1/2" thick.   I don't shape the tips until first brace at least so you can see how the string tracks. If all goes well there you can narrow the tips to at least 3/8".

Thanks Pat, those seemed to be the numbers I kept finding in my search as well. Thanks for confirming my findings.
Giving it your best effort is what anyone should expect.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 10:49:49 pm »
Good question.  I keep making them narrower, and they keep holding up.  I haven't found out yet just how narrow you could go.  I think you could easily err on the underside of 3/8 and push towards 1/4", if you really want to make them narrow.   That is with an overlay material.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 11:51:31 pm »
I've seen bows with scary thin and narrow tips. I could probably reduce the tips on my bows more but I just can't do it for some reason.  :-\
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 08:32:10 am »
I would also consider what you are going to do with a bow. I realize micro tips are strong enough to not break, Ive seen too many to not believe it. My problem comes in when I jam one in the opposite bank to jump a ditch or creek. Or when I drop my bow from 15 feet up. Or when I toss it down to hit my knees and claim my prize and the end of a blood trail. Or when I belly crawl 200 yards on a sopping wet morning to catch up to a tom. I got burned by my manmade junk too many times during my commercial/mechanical days. When I was 26'ish I said never again will my equipment be the reason I wound another critter. Its my all my own fault since. I make mine 7/16" at minimum. Most are 1/2". I make up for that in a shallower tip. The weight is insignificant.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 08:40:02 am »
If you take an old fashoined wooden rule and try to break it edge on I think it would take well over 100#
So there ya you, thin as you dare as long as you have the depth of limb >:D
 If you go V narrow then don't groove the sides of the tip (or only a slight hint) have all the groove in thetip overlay on the back.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 08:52:25 am »
I've seen bows with scary thin and narrow tips. I could probably reduce the tips on my bows more but I just can't do it for some reason.  :-\

Give em to me for a Makeover and ill do it for you >:D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 11:04:13 am »
I'd do it on your bows too Chris, but not mine!  ;D

blackhawk

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2013, 11:40:48 am »
I do everything to my bows pearly mentions and more,n I prob make the smallest tips of anybody here...and I have never once had a durability problem. <------thats a big period. Making small tips for your first time can be scary...but its like eating a gross looking or sounding food you've never tried before cus it sounds gross..but once you try it you realize just how tasty it is(like sushi..mmmmm sushi)..sorry bad metaphor. And I disagree and think there is a small significance and gain in doing so because it allows you to narrow down the last 8"+ of the limbs reducing unneeded mass. You wood be surprised at just how much more weight you can lose in your tips. I lay my tips out normal and don t reduce them until after I string it..I like to weigh the bow before I reduce and after I reduce them and you would be amazed at how much you can lose there in that critical area when it comes to increased performance..and your not losing any durability at all...so why not narrow them down if its only gain and no loss. To me its just wood that doesn't belong,n when making a bow you simply remove all the wood that doesn't belong.

blackhawk

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2013, 11:49:18 am »
The main reason most folks can't seem to make narrow tips is because they don't have the cojones to try >:D

Offline Dan K

• 58#@28"
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2013, 03:50:17 pm »
Is this true for all woods or can some go thinner tan others?
Excellence is a state of mind.  Whether you think you can or can't...you're right!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2013, 03:59:30 pm »
If it's deep enough, the limit is the point where you loose lateral stability.
back to the wooden rule, which is about 1.5"  x 1/8"
I don't s'pose anyone wants to go to 1/8" .
I reckon 1/4" should be quite feasible, but you are in danger of having it turn into aMolly'.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.