Author Topic: Tips and handles from a log?  (Read 2087 times)

Offline Bitterguy

Tips and handles from a log?
« on: February 21, 2013, 09:44:28 am »
I might be putting the cart before the horse here a bit but rps3 offered me a hickory stave since I was in the area and I wanted to pick it up sometime once im done with the red oak bow im working on now. I also have this hunk of black walnut, its about 6" in diamater, but not long enough to make a bow (i'll post pictures to clarify when I get home) and its just been sitting in my garage taking up space as of recent. My question is since I don't have a bandsaw how could I cut up this log into something that I can get a handle or two out of and some nocks for this stave I will probablly be getting in the near future?
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
If you're not getting better, you're getting worse.

Offline Slackbunny

Re: Tips and handles from a log?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 09:55:15 am »
Old fashioned hand saw would work, might be a fair bit of work, and you'd probably need to clean it up with a hand planer, but it would do the job.

There is an old thread around somewhere in which a guy shows how to get a long straight cut with a handsaw. I think all he does is tack a straight board to the log and then cut along the straight edge.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 09:56:12 am »
Split it with an axe or hatchet and then use hand tools to square up a chunk.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Bitterguy

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 11:14:51 am »
Would it be possible to use a table saw?
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 11:21:28 am »
I like a good, sharp hatchet

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 11:39:00 am »
Bitterguy, of all the tools in my shop, the table saw scares the begeebees out of me.  Tables saw are designed to be used to cut dimention lumber.  Even when using lumber the saw can bind and kick ones hands onto the blade.  Splitters and irregular edge of a log made them more likely to bind and kick.

That being said, I have used my table saw to cut dimentional lumber for handles and overlays from small logs.  I split them in half then split them in half again to get as near to a 90 degree angle as possible.  The I square them with a shurform or rasp to remove all the splitter and make a flat surface for the "log" to lay on the table and against the fence.  Mind you, I'm not cutting anything over a couple inches tall.  USE THE PUSH POLE TO KEEP YOUR HANDS AWAY FROM THE BLADE.  Wear safety glasses.

I DO NOT RECCOMMEND OR ENDORSE USING A TABLE SAW IN THIS MANNER. 
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline rps3

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 11:58:01 am »
Bring it with you and we will see what works best if you want. I have a band saw and wedges.

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 02:41:46 pm »
Go to lowes/home depot and pick up a miterbox and saw, youll get straight flat cuts with that.

Offline k-hat

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 03:10:09 pm »
You could also square up roughouts with a belt sander.  All you really need is one flat side for glue up anyway.

Offline bow101

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 03:55:57 pm »
Split it with an axe or hatchet and then use hand tools to square up a chunk.
X2 
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Bitterguy

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 04:16:56 pm »
Ill be sure to remember it rps, this bow will be an early b-day present to my dad, which gives me a couple months, hopefully I can get it done by then   ::)
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.