Author Topic: Finding Osage in Indiana  (Read 1888 times)

Offline rapaport

Finding Osage in Indiana
« on: March 05, 2013, 10:56:21 pm »
I am having a difficult time finding osage in areas thats not on personal property.  Are there areas in indiana that haveplentiful osage near the Indianapolis area? Or within an hour drive of Indianapolis

Offline Buckeye Guy

Re: Finding Osage in Indiana
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 11:13:04 pm »
Find it on personal property and ask permission ,let them know what you are doing with it and they will be glad to help you !
Or find the nearest Amish community and buy some fence posts !
Clint will be along soon I am sure he is south of you I think !
Have fun !
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline IDreamofOsage

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 11:54:58 pm »
You cant just cut trees on public property either so either way you are gonna have to ask permission. I agree with Buckeye Guy. Locate some, ask permission. Most people aren't real crazy about osage due to low timber value. That being said I may trade you some staves or might be persueded (sp) to take you to one of my spots to cut a few if you catch me in a generous mood.LOL I'm straight east of Indy 45minutes.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 12:33:19 am »
Check your local craigslist.  There is a guy with staves on there.  You could also check with the guys selling firewood.  They might be able to hold back a log or two for you.  If you want to cut it yourself, start knocking on some doors in the farming community.  I'm in the S.E. corner of the state and it is hit or miss on properties around here. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 08:47:05 am »
Lots more south than north in Indiana from what I see to Madison.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 08:58:53 am »
Screw finding some and asking permission ...I'm gonna be making a raid soon on osage outlaws stash soon...n I know he has enough for both of us already debarked n sapwood stripped...your more than welcome to join me  >:D

Offline WoodMunkey157

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 09:07:19 am »
I have seen some in farm fields and local parks. I am in west lafayette. I got mixed up about black locust and osage due to their similarities in appearance but its around. I have a buddy from oaklandon, indianapolis that brought a bunch back from some local woods as well. Stay positive, and happy hunting!!

Offline KShip85

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 09:28:40 am »
I just got some where the new interstate is going through.  I see quite a bit of it on roadsides or farmer's fields.  Tree removal services might be a good source too.  I have a buddy who keeps an eye out for Osage when he's removing trees.  Ill be splitting some of the logs I got next week and am sure I could hook you up with some staves.  I'm down in Bloomington, so not too far of a trek for you.

Kip
Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN

Offline rkeltner

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 01:44:11 pm »
go driving through some of the low lying subdivision. there is quite a bit of it in some of the older neighborhoods, and the tree services are frequently cutting it down. i'll second the idea of talking to the tree services. probnlem with them is some of them don't want to mess with holding wood for craftsmen. don't discount the local black locust or the occasional straight growth mulberry, either. i get mine from the landowner that lets me hunt deer over around rushville. he's been clearing  his lowlands and often just piles it up and burns it (GROAN, DISPAIR). his neighbor had a 40 acre thicket of the stuff cleared and burn last fall (OH, THE INHUMANITY) sadly ther was no time to contact anyone to see if a salvage operation could be organized. by the way, i've got some osage that i salvaged off my landowner friend's brushpiles, and i'm on the westside of indy, so if you'd like to do a face to face trade or some thing like that, e-mail me. oh yeah. the staves are a little short, at 52 and 54 inches, but with rawhide or sinew, or add syahs, they will probably reach 28" draw
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 01:49:13 pm by rkeltner »

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 03:01:53 pm »
Screw finding some and asking permission ...I'm gonna be making a raid soon on osage outlaws stash soon...n I know he has enough for both of us already debarked n sapwood stripped...your more than welcome to join me  >:D

Go ahead and try it Chickenhawk.  I dare ya'. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

blackhawk

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 03:31:05 pm »
What days u gonna be gone for the classic again?  8)  :D

Offline TRACY

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2013, 04:29:49 pm »
I see it all the time driving in any direction around the metro area. Fence rows, creek/river bottoms and get permission from the landowner to harvest a few. Fence rows- choose smaller diameter (10-15") not the big ones that will have plenty of wind checks. Good luck.
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956