Author Topic: First attempt at making hide glue...  (Read 1032 times)

Offline Cloudfeather

First attempt at making hide glue...
« on: June 29, 2013, 11:12:54 am »
This is my first shot at making hide glue. I simmered scrap sinew and tendon cases for about 4 hours, then reduced it for another hour or so. This is what I've got. I cut it into little gelatin squares and set them on paper towels. Do they look about the right color? Also, do I have to keep drying and reducing the size or can I put them in a container and freeze them? I've heard mixed ideas so I just wanted to see what everyone thought. Thanks.

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
Re: First attempt at making hide glue...
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 11:35:45 am »
Howdy,  It looks good to me.   If you're planning to use the glue anytime soon, I'd just freeze it.   Once fully dried it will store well in a bag on the shelf, but will take longer to use, as it will need overnight soaking, before being heated up.   Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 11:49:35 am »
Thanks. Yea, I plan on sinew backing a bow with it within the next week or two. Can it be frozen or stored once it's reheated if you keep it under 140? Or is it a one shot kinda deal?

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 11:54:49 am »
It can be reheated a few times without losing strength. I heat it in a cool whip container in double boiler fashion, then when I'm done and it's cooled, I put the container in a 1 gallon ziplock freezer bag and put it in the freezer until next time.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 03:39:56 pm »
Make sure it doesn't stick to the paper towels as it dries.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

mikekeswick

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 04:09:21 pm »
Good air flow is the key to drying it well. Next time heat it for around 10 -12 hours to get the most from your scraps but keep the temp low.