Author Topic: I have a question plzz.  (Read 4305 times)

Offline akila

I have a question plzz.
« on: October 24, 2007, 05:26:23 am »
Hi i have seen here some nice bows with this finish that its called "leather die" ...can anybody tell me plzz whatt this means??? :-\, and how do you do this??

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: I have a question plzz.
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 05:59:46 am »
It is like a real concentrated stain.you just wipe it on and wipe it off.It really penetrates the
Wood or anything you put it on including your fingers. ;D You can get it in all kinds of different colors. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline akila

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 08:11:52 am »
It is like a real concentrated stain.you just wipe it on and wipe it off.It really penetrates the
Wood or anything you put it on including your fingers. ;D You can get it in all kinds of different colors. :)
   Pappy
Can you plz tell me on whatt its usuly use this thing???...maybe i can get an ideea  and maybe i can find something similar herei n Romania.Im so envy at you guys...you have all kind of stuff :(, here i dont have to much choise.Whatt  finishisez do you usuly use on making bows plz?? i have read here aboute some stuf "true oil" or something...this is an vegetable oil or...??sorry for all the questions ..but im trying to understand a little from whatt you are usuly using on making bows...and to see iff i can find something similar.I also see that you use linnesd oil..this is also an vegetable oil extract from linen...?

MattE

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 08:46:10 am »
Linseed oil is an old finish. I am sure you have it in Romania but make sure it is cooked. The raw oil will not work!True oil is a brand name.It contain petroleum distillates a lot of gunstocks are finished with it.Try tung oil. It has no additives and is an excellent finish.I personally prefer it over True oil.It is one of the easiest finishes to apply and maintain.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 08:46:55 am »
I think it is mainly used for dyeing cloth,and Tru OIL is used a lot by gun stock finishers.
It is a high grade Linseed oil with some driers in it.You can also use Polly urethane for
a finish.There are lot of other options,more primitive and maybe someone will chime in,I don't use them so can't help much there. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 10:50:03 am »
The leather dye folks refer to here is an alcohol based dye used in leather work. Maybe you can find a saddle or harness maker that has a similar dye. Tru-Oil is a linseed (flax seed oil) based gun stock finish. An old finish used many years ago by most and still some use it today is shellac and linseed or tongue oil mixture that is hand rubbed into the wood.  If you can get epoxy, you can thin it with alcohol, acetone or lacquer thinner and use it as a finish.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 12:56:16 pm »
Another option is things like candle wax, bear grease or even lard if its all you have anything to help seal the moisture out.
Welcome to the site akila.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline akila

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 01:12:29 pm »
Hy ...and thks a lot for help...i did try to find some tung oil today but....nothing :(.I will probably use some Yacht varnish...i did find some linen oil but i dont know iff its cocked.I wass hoping to find something that its easey to aply and to dry but its in vain...you cant find to much arround here...becose people dont buy  all this stuff that you have so they dont have it in stores.Well..this is it...soon i will put some pictures with my new ash bow finish.Its a easey bow @ 35# at an 25" draw..its a long bow made for my wife and for my self also whenn i want to practice.Thks again for all the help.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 01:25:26 pm »
Yacht varnish is most likely what we call Spar varnish, good stuff very weather resistant.
Looking forward to seeing the pictures.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Dane

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 02:41:42 pm »
Akila, you can find boiled linseed oil at an artist supply store, catering to painters. It will say clearly boiled on it. A bottle will last you forever.

Wax is ancient and still a good finish, as Dana pointed out.
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline akila

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2007, 08:47:31 am »
Akila, you can find boiled linseed oil at an artist supply store, catering to painters. It will say clearly boiled on it. A bottle will last you forever.

Wax is ancient and still a good finish, as Dana pointed out.
Thks ...its a great ideea..i have something like that here in my town.How dose it look a finish with linnesd oil???im curiose.Anyway i allready finish my bow with this varnish stuff that i have ...and i still waiting to dry....i put it last night and its not yet dry enugh....this is the reason that i wass looking for something a little more easey to aply and to dry.I will put pictures soon.

DBernier

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2007, 10:04:27 am »
The "leather dye" we are talking about and the one I used/use is carried by Tandy Leather Co. They are on line and have stores in many locations.

Dick