Author Topic: Crack on the belly of a Molly lever  (Read 975 times)

Offline smoke

Crack on the belly of a Molly lever
« on: February 15, 2013, 09:38:11 am »
Input please:  Yesterday I got the bright idea to rework a Molly I made a couple of years ago.  I decided to put some curve in the levers and in the process, caused a small crack on the belly side of one of them.   Not the working part of the limb but the lever itself.  It is maybe a mm deep - just deep enough that I suspect the levers will start to bend more than I'd like if I rasp it down.  Any thoughts on how I ought to approach this?  Thanks all.

blackhawk

Re: Crack on the belly of a Molly lever
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 09:46:36 am »
I really can't say for sure without seeing a good clear close up pic of it....and exactly how thick is the thinnest part of your working limb,and how thick and wide are your levers? If you can get me exact dimensions on those I can tell you if you can rasp it away or not...if not then you'll have to live with the cosmetic flaw if its only small and doesn't go very deep....if it is ok and you have to leave it in there you can put a decorative wrap there and put a matching one on the other lever to hide it and protect it some.

Also what type of wood is it?

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 10:37:05 am »
You could just flatten the belly sides of the levers and add another layer of wood. You could laminate in a bit more curve that way as well.

Offline smoke

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 11:08:32 am »
Thanks guys.  The crack is located at a point where the limb is about 5/8 of an inch wide and about the same thick - and about 4 inches from the limb tip.  The wood is hickory - from a board.  I had the bow pulling around 65# but was going to bring that down a tad anyway.