Author Topic: Entertain a curious newbie  (Read 1289 times)

Offline Mikeeeeeeeeee

Entertain a curious newbie
« on: February 16, 2013, 11:36:13 pm »
I love all the bows I see in here. Some are straight up, look to me like they would make good hunting bows. Some have all the kinks and knots and are truly quite beautiful. My question is can the knotty, curvy bows actually be shot?
I have some staves from my shagbark hickory that are knotty. That is why I'm asking.

Offline BOWMAN53

Re: Entertain a curious newbie
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 11:44:12 pm »
Not only are they beautiful, but they shoot too. I personally dont have one but i know they do. All the knots are just beauty marks.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 11:46:24 pm »
Oh yeah.  Some of these guys don't even want to hunt with a boring ole straight bow.  Some of these character bows are real sweet shooters.  Knots on hickory are not a big deal.  If a knot is close to the edge of your bow, be sure and leave a little extra wood around it.   I think it is a good idea to be sure you get all the inner bark off of the back of your bow around the knotty areas.  Those winter cut staves you are working are going to have a cambium layer that is really going to want to stick to your stave and I found out the hard way that it will want to pop off later once the wood dries and it can tend to pop a splinter right down into the good wood - especially around big knots.   Hickory is good stuff though.   
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Newindian

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 03:02:07 am »
Knots can cause problems, but it can curve all it wants so long as the string bisects the handle
I like free stuff.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 04:33:48 am »
If it doesn't shoot... it's not a bow simple as that.

I occasionally get asked to make a bow just for decoration or show. I don't do it.
To me there is no such thing, it has to work.
BUT if an old bow is past it's best or a bow is damaged or broken then fine hang it on the wall.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.