Author Topic: what is the perfect species of bamboo for backing hickory bow ?  (Read 2653 times)

biglonglongbow

what is the perfect species of bamboo for backing hickory bow ?
« on: February 19, 2013, 04:34:38 pm »
Hi, can anyone tell me the perfect species of bamboo, the kind that is nice and white that people use to back hickory flat-bows and what regions of the world it comes from, and where to buy it ?

Thanks !

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
Re: what is the perfect species of bamboo for backing hickory bow ?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 05:17:17 pm »
Hickory is one of the most tension strong woods. It generally does not require a backing at all, since it is perfectly suited for a selfbow. A bamboo backing might even overpower the belly, resulting in set. Only if the grain is really poor, you need some sort of backing. Possibly bamboo, but there's plenty of other backings around. Rawhide, silk, linen or another slat of wood will all work. Bamboo can be difficult to source and difficult to work with for a beginner.

To answer your question, most bamboo species are strong enough for bow backings. Some are stronger than others (madake, tonkin), but all should be strong enough. Don't worry about the species too much; just select a high quality pole with no defects. Many bowyers use moso bamboo, because it grows in large diameters and is easily accessable. Many places sell high diameter bamboo poles. The world is a big place, so I don't know where to start giving you advice where to buy it.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Gordon

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 05:19:45 pm »
I cut my backing from Moso bamboo slats which I purchase in bulk from a S. California company. I believe, however, that Carson at echoarchery.com (a PA advertisor) will sell you individual slats.
Gordon

biglonglongbow

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 07:23:01 pm »
moso bamboo, that is the stuff I am looking for cool.. affordable and easy to buy..  I am not sure where it grows, but I see it does grow in China and there is a big market for it so that's where I assume it would come from.  Thanks