Author Topic: Anyone here from northern Michigan?  (Read 1634 times)

Thunder Bay

Anyone here from northern Michigan?
« on: February 13, 2013, 01:10:10 pm »
Hi guy's,
I've been a lurker here on and off. I've been shooting traditional archery for a while now and have kind of went in and out of it. I took up the compound and hunted, killed a bunch of deer but it just isn't for me... So I lost interest in it and went back to trad archery(where my heart is) anywho, I've tried to build some self bows out of maple but have ended up with toothpicks.

I was wondering if there is anyone on here around my neck of the woods? Same old story I guess lots and lots of compound shooters but NO trad archers especially NO primitive archers. The reason I'm asking is that I have a burning desire to learn how to make and hunt with a wood bow and was wondering if there was anyone who would want to take a newbie under their wing and give some demonstrations/help with the learning process on this. I have all the TBB 1-3, the bent stick, various VHS tapes on bow building but can't seem to get it right in the building department. I've been frustrated and pissed off and gave up on building one many times now and have put everything away.  But the desire keeps crawling back! I can only imagine what it will be like if I ever learn how to actually make a bow.......

Offline Buckeye Guy

Re: Anyone here from northern Michigan?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 01:29:53 pm »
There are some yoopers on here !
I am not ,but there are some wonderful events in Mich. where you can get started !
There is a shoot at elm hall that many go to And GLLI at hastings ,and the Primitve Archery Rendezvous at Marshall These are a few I know of
I know they are not northern Mi. but some good events !
Hope to see ya at one of them this summer !
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 01:39:56 pm »
Where is Hillman? Towards Alpena?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Thunder Bay

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 02:04:43 pm »
Pearl Drums,
Yes it is a half hour west of Alpena. 

Offline DQ

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 03:11:12 pm »
I fish Fletcher's every summer for about 10 days and cruse through Hillman while there.  Maybe we can meet up this summer.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 04:18:05 pm »
Your several hours from me.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Thunder Bay

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 04:27:44 pm »
DQ, Fletchers has some good fish'n. You ever hunt up this way?

PD, that figures...  I guess that is the price I pay for living in the sticks :)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 05:21:57 pm »
Make your way down to Marshall over Memorial weekend and make your way down to Elm Hall in early August. Both events are packed with great bowyers and I would be willing to bet you would go home with your first self bow made by you.

Thunder Bay

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 12:11:02 am »
I just might have to make that drive. I can't believe that there isn't anyone other than me north of Grayling that is interested in wood bows....   :o   :o   :o

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013, 08:20:09 am »
I know of a guy in Harrison, but I dont think he is into the teaching, or meeting thing for that matter.  You wont regret your trip to Marshall. Great people, great camping, great teachers, great course, great people and of course great people.

Thunder Bay

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2013, 10:47:30 am »
Well that sounds good, but how are the people?   ;)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2013, 11:13:22 am »
The people are GREAT!