Author Topic: Maple board bow  (Read 3439 times)

Offline bow101

Maple board bow
« on: February 18, 2013, 01:46:03 pm »
70ttt 50# @ 28
I called it Flying Maple because of the propeller twist. It started out at 1 3/4 but by the time I got 'er shaved it ended up at 1 1/2 at the fades and down to 1/2 at the tips. I had to make one limb short for the sake of using a stringer, so instead of piking it I re-nocked the lower limb. I know should of thought of that before finishing. The tiller is out but I'am not going any further with it because of the prop twist, it will only make it worse. The grain shoots off especially on the top limb, and it is a liitle narrow and the arrow shelf may not help.
At any rate it's my first shooter, I know where I made my mistakes, keep plugging away untill I get less flaws. The photos look bad, not my camera.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline bow101

Re: Maple board bow
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 02:29:47 pm »
Tiller critique . . . . ::)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 03:10:48 pm »
The top limb could bend closer to the handle and both outter limbs could bend a bit more.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bow101

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 04:59:44 pm »
Thanks Pat, That is basically what I thought. Nice to know my eye for tillering is getting much better.

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 06:57:43 pm »
Congrats one your first....now go make another   ;)...and another  ;)...and another  :laugh:...and.....

+1 what pat said on tiller

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 07:03:43 pm »
Congrats one your first....now go make another   ;)...and another  ;)...and another  :laugh:...and.....

+1 what pat said on tiller

+1
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 07:34:34 pm »
I'm impressed you got 50# on your first bow, mine was about 30, and the tiller didn't look that good either :)  Like you said, keep pluggin along

Offline bow101

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 07:42:11 pm »
I'm impressed you got 50# on your first bow, mine was about 30, and the tiller didn't look that good either :)  Like you said, keep pluggin along

:laugh: This bow is #7, #8 broke, it was looking real good just over pulled it and snaped.  As far as weight goes try not to take off so much material and go slow, you should hit your target weight. I have done lots of reading and noticed many bowyers floor tiller a great deal before they use the tree.!
My previous 3 bows were all around 55# to 65#......

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 08:12:47 pm »
Not too bad for a maple board bow.Good to see you scratching the itch to make them bows.I tried some maple boards from the woodsmith store once and thought they were too dry.Did a stave instead and really like it.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed