Author Topic: Backing With Silk  (Read 3757 times)

tradrick

Backing With Silk
« on: October 21, 2007, 03:20:52 pm »
I've gotten my wifes first bow floor tillered now.And was applying the silk backing.My question is do you only put one layer or does it need mutiple layers?I know I read when useing sheetrock tape to use 3 layers.Does the samething apply to silk?Also can satin be used instead of actual silk?The lady at the fabric store said there basiclly the same.But I don't know so I figured I better ask.With all the different things folks back bows with I don't see why it would'nt work.Thanks tradrick

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Backing With Silk
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 03:34:45 pm »
Any cloth will work as a backing and only one layer is needed. There is quite a bit of difference between satin and silk. Silk is a natural fiber(silk moths cocoons) and is stretchy but recovers well. Satin is synthetic. Raw silk can be very strong. I fretted the belly of an osage recurve after I backed it with coarse raw silk.
  Once you apply the glue(I prefer Tite-Bond III) it saturates the fibers and the backing becomes homogeneous, cloth, glue and bow back. Silk makes for a strong backing.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

tradrick

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 05:03:23 pm »
Thanks Pat.Satin is what I'm useing on this one because thats all I've found.So I hope it does ok.I'm getting ready to put the pulley on my tillering tree.I'll let the glue cure overnight and start tillering tomorrow.I used Tite Bond II Hide Glue.The satin material is pink for my wife.I know pink lol.But if it gets her into archery and shooting with me It'll be worth it.tradrick

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 05:37:21 pm »
Tite bond hide glue needs to dry longer than that. :(  I would recomend regular wood glue like tite bond 2 or 3. ;)
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 05:38:39 pm »
Satin will be fine. I have never used TB hide glue but others have with success. You may want to let it cure a bit longer...depending on what your R/H is.  Good luck and keep us posted.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2007, 06:58:44 pm »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!