Author Topic: Sinew backing on black locust?  (Read 2052 times)

Stringman

Sinew backing on black locust?
« on: February 10, 2013, 02:51:36 pm »
The smart side of my brain tells me to leave that nemesis wood alone, but since this piece was already floor tillered and standing in a corner I went ahead and worked it down a little closer today.

It is tillered out to around 25" but seems to have a tendency to follow the string pretty bad. It's 62" now and my question is would this be a good candidate for sinew?

Scott

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Sinew backing on black locust?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 03:00:17 pm »
Locust should work well with a sinew backing but being quite strong in tension it probably doesn't need it. Locust does react well to heat treating so that would be an option and would help reduce set.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 03:36:10 pm »
I agree with Pat. If you decide to add sinew, I would temper it. If you decide to leave it unbacked I would still temper it. It warms up VERY fast compared to any other wood Ive tempered. Dont walk away from the heat gun.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Squirrelslayer

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 04:18:23 pm »
Sorry this is slightly off topic but how do you heat treat a bow? is it correcting imperfections like twist and deflex with heat or is it something completly diffrent. i only ask as i want to do anything i can to stop the bow im working on from taking set. SS
WARNING: posts may contain nuts.

http://squirrelslayers.forumshome.com/ - check out my forum, and if you like what you see... Join!

also on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/user/cj822100?feature=mhee

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 04:26:30 pm »
Hold your heat gun on high in one spot starting at your fade. Keep it at 3.5-4" away until the wood looks a toast color. Move the heat gun less than its diameter and repeat until the working limb is evenly tempered. Dont get it black and burnt, think toast. You can clamp the bow to a reflexed caul as you go. I always temper, straighten, untwist and reflex in one shot. I believe its better for the wood.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 04:32:58 pm by PEARL DRUMS »
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Stringman

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 04:42:18 pm »
Ok, well I've already heat treated the belly once, but I'm sure I've scraped most of that off by now. Should I temper again?

Also, if I did go with the sinew job, what poundage should I be at before adding the sinew? Right now I feel it is pretty high weight.

Scott

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 04:47:23 pm »
Once is enough. I would get it well tillered to about 30# @ 18-19". Then add 2-3 layers of well lain, straight sinew.