Author Topic: Width on a five curve, sinew Osage  (Read 1743 times)

Offline Cloudfeather

Width on a five curve, sinew Osage
« on: February 07, 2013, 09:32:18 pm »
I'm thinking of doing a five curve, sinew backed Osage as my next project. Any tips on some dimensions? I'm shooting for about a 58" ntn length and a draw weight of about #70 @ 26". Any info or tips would be appreciated.

Offline Weylin

Re: Width on a five curve, sinew Osage
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 09:41:02 pm »
I got Gun Doc's Prairie Rattler in last year's bow trade. It is a osage sinew backed 5 curve that pulls 70# at 26". I believe it's a little shorter than your plan but I could give you the measurements from it any way as a guide. I'd ask Gun Doc if you have any more questions about it. It's a sweet bow, for sure. It is 54" long and it is about 1 3/4" at the fades tapering smoothly to about 3/8" at the tips. Hope that's helpful. Good luck.

here's a link to his bow. http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,33345.msg439926.html#msg439926

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 09:43:21 pm »
Thanks, I'll take that into consideration. I'm sure some of the other Osage fanatics will chime in as well. lol. I'm thinking of a very slight molly type static tip but with a very subtle curve to it. If that makes any sense.   :P

Offline JLoranger

• JLoranger Illustration
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 12:43:44 am »
Can't wait to see some pics, I love the profile on a 5 curve.
Giving it your best effort is what anyone should expect.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 01:15:41 am »
You could do it 1" wide its full length or maybe 1 1/4" with the handle area reduced to 1".
 I've never made a 5 curve bow but it doesn't take much osage to make a bow and even less if you add sinew.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 02:42:31 pm »
Ive made a few of these. if you want to keep some reflex in it or most of it make it 1.5 inches wide.
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 07:55:01 pm »
Any tips on how to go about setting back the handle? I was thinking about making a small jig and using this one huge c clamp I have with a combo of steam and heat gun.