Author Topic: A hackberry bow that is in progress...  (Read 25608 times)

Offline RyanY

Re: A hackberry bow that is in progress...
« Reply #105 on: February 05, 2013, 07:13:24 pm »
Worked on a hackberry stave this past weekend for the first time. Softer than any white wood I've ever worked. Like making a bow out of a marshmallow! Hopefully I'll be able to put some weight back on by heat treating it and adding some recurves. Good to see you're able to make it work for you.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #106 on: February 05, 2013, 07:31:57 pm »
Very nice bow Knots. Great lines, well tillered and all around good looks. Real skilled work man.

Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #107 on: February 06, 2013, 09:57:03 am »
Knots, you need to edit the title from ...in progress to DONE! You did a great job on this bow man! I really like the overall color and look of it- au natural!

Tracy

Thank ya!

Nice looking bow.
I have a few hackberry stave to work and hope they come out looking half that good.
Never work with hackbery before.
I'll have to keep this one of yours in mind when the time comes.

Thank ya Don!

Worked on a hackberry stave this past weekend for the first time. Softer than any white wood I've ever worked. Like making a bow out of a marshmallow! Hopefully I'll be able to put some weight back on by heat treating it and adding some recurves. Good to see you're able to make it work for you.

Just like any other wood, just like you can find bad pieces of yew (not that I would know a lick about a piece of yew though), quality varies from tree to tree. I have worked pieces like that. They are usually visibly very white, and lighter than normal. The better pieces of hackberry are usually a little grey instead of white, most of the time with blue streaks through out them, are typically are a little denser, and can take more of a beating before giving in to string follow. Both will make wicked fast bows though. Normally hackberry should be harder than red oak or the maple you get at home depot. Speaking of red oak, thats another wood that can vary like night and day. The wood needs to be nice and drier than other woods I think, you really need to hotbox hackberry before working it. Which reminds me I need to build a hotbox.

Very nice bow Knots. Great lines, well tillered and all around good looks. Real skilled work man.

Greg

Thank you Greg!

[IMG]
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 01:41:12 pm by toomanyknots »
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Online sleek

« Reply #108 on: February 06, 2013, 10:32:14 am »
Just so ya know, my draw is 25 inches, that baby would fit me fine ;)
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Josh B

« Reply #109 on: February 06, 2013, 11:39:13 am »
Those are some pretty sharp hack sticks too many!  Nice work!  Josh