Author Topic: Black locust logs  (Read 4332 times)

Offline tom sawyer

Re: Black locust logs
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2013, 01:25:13 pm »
I would defintiely cut off the ends until you don't see checks, then seal it well.  Otherwise those things can extend a foot or more into the wood.  I also always remove bark and sapwood and seal before storage.  I've seen bugs hatch out of bark and start eating the wood, I mdon't want that in my stave stash.  Plus staves that've been peeled to heartwood will dry a whole lot faster.  Its a lot of work but worth it.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2013, 09:28:57 pm »
Hey Tom,
 How long do I have to do that, what type of sealer, and do i have to chase a ring when i take the sapwood/bark off My wife is do to have our baby boy any day now, and I think that might be my priority for a wile :).  While splitting I didn't see any critters in the wood or bark.
Sorry to keep posting I just don't want all of this wood to go to waste. 
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 09:54:58 pm by IdahoMatt »

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2013, 03:16:56 pm »
I use shellac although you can use Elmers glue if you are going to store them inside out of the rain.  You can chase a ring while you're at it but I usually just get the sapwood off and worry about that later.  As long as its cold out you are OK as far as bugs although the checking on the ends is going to keep progressing.  even with the ends sealed I've seen checks form under the bark on the ends of logs.

Congrats on the kid!  I love babies, they'll sit with you on the couch, them with their bottle and you with yours, belching and farting and having a great time.  They don't ask to change the channel or anything.  Then they learn to crawl and its all downhill from there.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 03:20:53 pm by tom sawyer »
Lennie
Hannibal, MO