Author Topic: I Forgot How Hard Hickory Is  (Read 2451 times)

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
I Forgot How Hard Hickory Is
« on: January 31, 2013, 09:52:09 pm »
I cut one right behind the shop the other day.  This pic is the butt cut.  It was about 16 inch diameter roughly.  Me and my 14 year old boy set in splitting.  We were both wore out when we finished that log.  Only 3 more logs to go, but I am going to pick and choose on those because of the limbs.  Most of the staves were piggybacked.  The junk on the far right will get split into arrow shafts.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: I Forgot How Hard Hickory Is
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 09:58:15 pm »
Nice stash of hickory
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 12:24:56 am »
How about ramrods? :)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline madcrow

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 12:35:42 am »
Thanks PD.  Hopefully the erc that I cut next will split a lot easier.  Eddie, I have already checked in the hardware for a few ramrods.  There wwill be pleny of wood for that and some shafts.

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 03:07:55 am »
Nice  haul.  If you run out of storage, I know this guy that lives in NC that could stash a couple of those staves for ya.  :laugh:
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 08:46:23 am »
I have cut and split a lot of Hickory and it's really funny stuff,most of the time if it is cut in the woods it will split pretty easy,cut in fence rows or out in the open by itself it is very tough to spilt. We cut one in the woods this year 24-26 across the stump and it was as tough as I have ever seen.It would split to the heart and stop,wound with a round log of only heart wood,the sap wood came off in slabs.
Nice haul,I usually try and cut in early summer so I don't have to deal with the bark removal, but a man has to do it when he can.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline madcrow

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 08:54:51 am »
This one was pretty yough pappy.  Right on the edge of the woods.  It would split to within an inch of the far side and stop.  I finally had to roll it over and split from the other side.  I thought about cutting one of the other logs with the chainsaw down the middle to get rid of the limb side and splitting some backing strips from it.  It can't hurt to try.  Jimbob, you may have to plan a short road trip after the weather warms up.  I will send some home with you. 

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 09:13:00 am »
The big one we cut ,I almost spit it was a saw and it still wouldn't split.really starnge,but once it was on the ground we had no choise.It wore 6 of us down getting that one done .but looking back it was worth it,should get about 75-80 bows out of it. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 11:17:04 am »
I make big splits in a hickory log.

Use a skill saw and chalk line to reduce the big splits into staves.

And end up with some really even staves.

I feel for you, my log was cut too late in the year to peel the bark off, took me two weeks to clean up the backs of all these staves.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 12:18:06 pm »
How much hickory do you use Eric? Thats a heck of a pile of bows.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 03:07:23 pm »
I don't use any, I have so much osage. I keep the hickory around for my bow students and trades.

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 12:16:27 pm »
Yeah, I am in need of a good road trip.  Too much work and not enough play.
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei