Author Topic: Shoot shafts???  (Read 1924 times)

Offline Dazv

Shoot shafts???
« on: January 29, 2013, 03:06:05 pm »
Hi all

Ive made alot of shoot shaft primitive arrows but something ive had a problem with is getting them to stay straight after you bend them. So say Ive got a seasoned shaft that that i can get straight by bending it I'm my hands but where ever i bend it the shaft will just stay in that position Ive used heat tempering but it doesn't help all to much. Am i being clear???

Any advice would be amazing thanks so much guys!!!

Darren

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Shoot shafts???
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 03:55:49 pm »
When I make shoot shafts I start with well seasoned shoots like you said you do, and straighten them over a few sessions. I go over the worst bends first then let them rest until completely cool, usually until the next day. After the initial straightening is complete I'll start at one end and heat the shaft while rotating it. I do this until I get good color that I use as decoration but I allso know I'm getting the shaft well heated. I work out the shaft, rotating it as Iwork to the other end. Be careful near the other end because any moisture that might be inside the shaft will be released as steam and WILL burn you. Once I get the shaft hot from end to end I will restraighten it then lay it on a flat surface until completely cooled. Usually by them they will stay straight. If needed a slight heating and restraightening is done. Generally this will set the shafts and they will stay straight.
  There are times that a shoot will not stay straight. These I didcard for arrows but they make good stiffeners for Plains style quivers or tomato stakes.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dazv

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 04:40:27 pm »
Pat thank you very much for your reply!!! I will give that a go tomorrow!!! Thanks again!
Darren

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 09:27:56 am »
  Heres another way if you have the time.
  The longer the shoot seasons the better it will stay straight. First off I like to shoots  LITTLE BIGGER. I straighten once bundle let of a few months. Then I'll do as Pat said but not clear down to the size I need. I leave that for sanding down the line. But I'll get them down to pirrty stright. I leave the findle straighting to the sanding later.
  But I'll get them to almost shaft form. I bundle them tight as I can get them. And just leave them on a flat surface. How long I have shafts seasoing for 2 years. When I get to them then I'll get to them. I like to keep dozzens going in differnt stages. As a findle stage I unbundle straighten with heat if need. Then I sand them down to a findle straighting and the spine I need. I have a couple dozzen I'm going to season for 4 or 5 years.
   If you shafts arn't staying straight it's likely there just not seasoned enough.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline kleinpm

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 10:37:33 am »
Sometimes there are ornery shafts that just don't want to stay straight. I burn those.

Patrick

Offline Dazv

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 02:36:02 pm »
Thanks for the advice guys!!!!!!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 02:59:40 pm »
When using natural materials you have to expect a few shoots to become tomato stakes or quiver stiffeners. I probably don't use half the shoots I cut. Some just aren't right for arrows(they looked better on the bush), some would be too much work(dealing with limbs, etc) and some won't stay straight. I make my arrows one at a time so I usually know if they just aren't right early on in the process. Some I wouldn't use for a "hunting" arrow I make fluflus with. They don't have to be perfect for that.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline kid bow

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 05:22:34 pm »
i used to put little grooves in the shaft. that way when i straightened them they would stay straight longer
i need nothing but my old bow and arrows.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 07:09:08 pm »
I've done that as well Kid and on those shafts that just don't want to stay straight it is another option.

Offline kid bow

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 03:48:27 pm »
yep
i need nothing but my old bow and arrows.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 06:15:07 pm »
I start persuading them before they season seems to help out some !
Tie them in bundles!
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !