Author Topic: Tempering Juniper?  (Read 1675 times)

Offline rileyconcrete

Tempering Juniper?
« on: January 30, 2013, 09:22:05 pm »
I am working on a hupa style bow.  I have no yew so I am using juniper.  it will be sinew backed.  I was wondering if I should temper the belly before i sinew it.

Tell
Tell Riley

Offline Keenan

Re: Tempering Juniper?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 09:53:09 pm »
 Is it mostly heart or sap Tell?

Offline PaleoNinja

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 10:13:00 pm »
In my experience Juniper has taken well to heat treating, so I would certainly do it.

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 10:40:23 pm »
Do y'all always sinew back juniper

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 11:21:37 pm »
With any of the junipers species I like to take most of the sapwood off and sinew back them...and its so good in compression heat treating it is really unnneccessary and not needed. Its very elastic wood...just tension weak....but boy oh boy you put sinew on it and look out...it'll make a very low set bow that's highly elastic,and a light in the hand snappy shooter...you can back it with other things,but sinew is the best for juniper ....if I mess with juniper it gets sinew..no questions asked. There's only three woods ill ever sinew again...and that's osage,yew,and juniper. Sinew+juniper=awesomeness

Offline aaron

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 11:43:36 pm »
anyone tried less elastic backings like linen? (and easier)
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 12:12:49 am »
Thanks Blackhawk

Offline rileyconcrete

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 12:19:56 am »
Keenan it is a juniper limb so mostly sapwood.

blackhawk, Keenan  the bow will be only around 49" ntn.  I am looking to get as close to 28" draw as I can.  I have seen bows that loefflerchuck has made of juniper and incense cedar that are shorter and have great bend to them. 

I have lots of sinew so I plan to use as much as I need to accompish this.  Keenan I have your number so I may call you sometime to get a little info on juniper.

Tell
Tell Riley

blackhawk

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 07:30:08 am »
If your trying to get 28" out of that you better steam and bend short sharp static recurves on it the last 3-4" of the tips...and no less than 3 courses of sinew....and make it bend full compass thru the handle...and tiller it well.....good luck...it can be done,but it won't be easy street

Offline Keenan

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 11:18:37 am »
With any of the junipers species I like to take most of the sapwood off and sinew back them...and its so good in compression heat treating it is really unnneccessary and not needed. Its very elastic wood...just tension weak....but boy oh boy you put sinew on it and look out...it'll make a very low set bow that's highly elastic,and a light in the hand snappy shooter...you can back it with other things,but sinew is the best for juniper ....if I mess with juniper it gets sinew..no questions asked. There's only three woods ill ever sinew again...and that's osage,yew,and juniper. Sinew+juniper=awesomeness
If your trying to get 28" out of that you better steam and bend short sharp static recurves on it the last 3-4" of the tips...and no less than 3 courses of sinew....and make it bend full compass thru the handle...and tiller it well.....good luck...it can be done,but it won't be easy street

Tell, I think Blackhawk nailed it! Had some fun shooting my sinew/carp backed Juniper last night at the range.  Sinew and juniper = fun     Call anytime bro

Offline rileyconcrete

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 10:26:59 pm »
Alright guys,  I will be bending static recurves in and had already planned on if bending full compass through the handle.

Thanks blackhawk and Keenan!

Tell
Tell Riley