Author Topic: quivers-preparing hickory bark  (Read 3578 times)

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
quivers-preparing hickory bark
« on: June 03, 2013, 11:47:54 pm »
tis the season to cut hickory for staves and for the bark, as it slips off sometimes in one piece.
heres the process i've begun in making some bark quivers. they are now set to dry for some time.
when i start actual quiver making I'll add more pics.
as a note: the lighter color tube (from a smooth bark hickory)  was much easier to drawknife,
the other two were a little more difficult, the drawknife tended to dig in..and when it does it can leave a weak spot
which can wrinkle or even crack as it drys. I left one with the outer bark on..for a "camo" quiver. :)
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: quivers-preparing hickory bark
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 11:54:24 pm »
So thats how you do it.  ::)  When I cut some hickory years ago I removed the bark like that but it curled up tighter than...well, you know.  I'll try that with poplar bark. I have a few small poplars to remove.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 12:00:07 am »
Thanks for the photos.  Hopefully my Arbo friends will take down some shagbark in the near future.
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline richardzane

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 10:36:35 am »
they do like to curl! even held in position like this after a week theres a slight curling in of those butted edges.
so, before i sew one up, I'll soak the butted edge in a pan of shallow water till its soft, then clamp the daylights out of it till it dries
so, its good to leave the boards (inside) so they extend past the bark for clamping.
heck , i don't know!  :)I've never made one of these before! but i have done other bark work and know what it can do as it dries.

Dried bark, even stored curled up, CAN be rehydrated and can become as flexible as when green...i just use a stock tank.
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 11:29:41 am »
So thats how you do it.  ::)  When I cut some hickory years ago I removed the bark like that but it curled up tighter than...well, you know. 
Cinnamon sticks :P

I think that is really cool. But bark is often very thin on many species of tree.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 01:47:40 pm »
Excellent richard.You are a crafty man.......LOL.Love it when everything is used when harvested.I've never done that yet but congrats on your project.That'll work by God.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline richardzane

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 02:36:05 pm »
 tizhameh! (Thanks) Beadman,
same with my pottery making, started out by imitating ancients, but it doesn't take long till I've got my own twist to it.
just enjoy pushing beyond what's same-ol' and predictable. sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't! :)
 couldn't help but pull bark and bundle up inner bark strips while trimming the elms around the house yesterday,
for what? i have no idea, but its there if i need it. :laugh:

Offline Patches

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 03:43:02 pm »
Thanks for sharing these photos! 
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

Offline richardzane

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 11:24:00 pm »
thanks Patches,
and i like your quote there about being an example :)

Offline DuBois

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 06:29:04 am »
Great! I just posted in the arrows section looking for info on how to do this. Is that just twine wrapped around to keep the shape? I put some bunjies on my bark. Will be watching this for sure. I need a quiver for the arrows I haven't made yet  ::) Thanks for the post.

Offline Marks

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2013, 06:08:41 pm »
So thats how you do it.  ::)  When I cut some hickory years ago I removed the bark like that but it curled up tighter than...well, you know. 
Cinnamon sticks :P

I think that is really cool. But bark is often very thin on many species of tree.

Curl up like a constipated dog?  :o