Author Topic: looking for your thoughts on a red elm  (Read 1846 times)

Offline Dvshunter

looking for your thoughts on a red elm
« on: January 26, 2013, 01:52:59 pm »
I've been shooting a red elm bow that I have been working on and I can't decide what to do. I was wondering, what would you do? Right now it is 64" ntn and pulling 45@26. It rests with about an inch and a half reflex. The tiller I think is pretty good right now. I wanted a bit more weight at my draw but I can live with it as it is. I haven't heated it at all and I like where everything is.  Heat treating is an option and I can't decide on skins or the natural look. I like how the bow looks now but man, some skins would be cool and the stave dried like this...

Anyway, I guess the questions are,
Would you risk messing up a finished bow to heat treat and gain a few lbs.?
Would you put skins on it or leave it natural?

I have put on a few coats of finish and have been shooting it in. Thanks.
Dave

"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: looking for your thoughts on a red elm
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 02:40:33 pm »
My thoughts don't make a lot of difference in the big scheme of things, but lay on a finish and call it good.  Tiller works pretty good for me, and if you enjoy shooting it what else matters.

Now build another!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline rps3

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 02:50:28 pm »
That is a good looking bow. In the past when I missed weight, flipping the tips always worked for me. My experience is very limited with heat treating, but when I have, the weight difference wasnt that great.

Offline JonW

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 03:32:23 pm »
Dave I would personally heat treat that bow. Elm responds very well to a good heat treat and you can easily pick up 5 pounds by doing so. Your tiller is real good and I dont think you'll have to mess with it much if you heat it evenly. A natural finish on Elm is beautiful IMO.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 04:16:59 pm »
If you are not confident with heat treating, send it to me and I will give it a light toasting.  I'll be sure to post pics if I get a deer or anything else with it next year.   >:D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bow101

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 04:18:23 pm »
Maybe tiller a little further get it to 28-29" pickup a couple pounds.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 07:29:08 pm »
I think I'm going to heat it. And back it with some skins orbit works out. Jw that is a tempting offer. As long as you send it back after you tag a few. :D
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline bcbull

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 12:40:12 am »
Dave flip tips heat treat it ull get 7-10# perfect for elk brock

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 12:53:57 am »
Elm really responds well to toasting.  I have a winged elm that picked up 12lbs from a good toasting of the belly -  with no reflex added.    I guess it depends on what weight you are shooting for.  You could get another 5lbs by flipping the tips.  10 or so by piking it and flipping the tips.  By heat treating, piking and recurving the tips, you might get 60lb or more....  Or you might just keep that fine looking 45lb bow just like it is.  Decisions, decisions.... :D 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline steve b.

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2013, 02:26:41 am »
I want you to heat treat it just because I want to see how it improves it, or not.  But it looks great now.  Man, I wish I had some nice elm like that. :(

Offline chamookman

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 06:41:20 am »
Personaly, I'd flip the tips a bit and move on to the next Bow. I like it  - Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2013, 11:53:02 am »
Thats a real nice looking bow Dave. Lays flat unbraced and sweet bend. I've only made a couple from elm, american elm I think, and only heat treated one of them. Induced some reflex in it which held really well and added a couple pounds to the draw weight. Not a
lot of experience here so won't recommend anything because it's your bow and it will likely be a good one either way you go.
Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2013, 04:02:36 pm »
I've been thinking about flipping the tips but with all the snake I'm going to just heat treat I think. 

Well I did it. I very gently heated it. It went from one inch opt reflex to the three it originally had. It lopoks good. I didn't flkip the tips.