Author Topic: Take-down question  (Read 1121 times)

Offline Weylin

Take-down question
« on: January 28, 2013, 12:25:40 am »
I'm considering making a yew takedown hunting bow out of some nice billets that I have. I'm looking at the sleeves that 3 rivers sells and trying to decide which size to get. The small sleeve measures, 4" x 1 1/2" x 1 3/16". The large size measures, 4" x 1 3/4" x 1 3/16". I'd like the smaller sleeve for comfort but I'm wondering if yew might need the larger size for safety. What are your thoughts. Also, are there any other sources that sell good take down sleeves?

Offline Josh B

Re: Take-down question
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 01:25:26 am »
Just my opinion, but I prefer the small ones.  The big ones are really big and bulky.  I use the small ones on everything now even with erc.  You can glue layers of leather to the small ones and make a nice contoured grip that makes the sleeve invisible with the handle wrap.  The bigger ones don't leave that option unless you have some seriously huge hands.  Just my .02 .  Josh

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 07:52:17 am »
The dimensions for the smaller sleeve are still quite a bit bigger than what I've used for osage and ash takedowns. I 've never worked with yew but have to think a small sleeve would suffice. The draw weight and length of your bow would also be factors.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 08:00:48 am »
I have monster mits and the large is too big for my tastes. I suggest the small to just about anybody that asks.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 08:18:14 am »
I like the small ones also.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline nathan elliot

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 10:25:17 am »
I think the small works well for most bow woods.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 11:21:18 am »
small it is then, that's what I want as well. i don't have particularly big hands so I wasn't relishing the large grip. Any other sources besides 3Rivers?