Author Topic: tru oil  (Read 1365 times)

Offline gothmog

tru oil
« on: January 27, 2013, 03:53:26 pm »
Something has been nagging at me recently.  I have finished most of my bows thus far with tru oil.  How often, or is it necessary at all, should I refinish them?  Do I need to cut the leather handle wraps off and redo them every year, or just wipe the limbs down every so often?  Thanks

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: tru oil
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 03:55:24 pm »
The only time I have redone the Tru-Oil finish is if I make a repair and that was just in the repair area.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline gothmog

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 04:16:18 pm »
Thats what I figured.  Thanks Pat.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 04:51:30 pm »
You can always give her a face lift with a good rub down with 0000steel wool than another thin coat of Tru-Oil. You shouldn't have to remove the handle wrap for this.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline gothmog

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 05:15:22 pm »
Nah.  Still look good, just worried about weatherproof ness.  If anything, getting a little beeswax buildup on belly from string when unstrung.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 09:57:47 am »
I use it all the time and ocasionaly do like Pat said about a face lift but other than that nothing unless it gets beat up. :)
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 11:39:20 pm »
I love the look of a good Tru-Oil finish.  If you rub thw leather grip down with a good leather treatment (even olive oil works) it will keep the wood underneath just fine.  All you need to do is lightly stroke the limbs with fine steel wool and rub on a few more light coats of Tru-Oil once a year.   It's a durable finish, in my opinion.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.